Help me find the right bike :)

buckwi1d

Dec 2, 2002
I've posted in some other online forums to find out information on dirt bikes, but just found this one and can't wait to get some feedback from other girls!

I just started riding recently. My husband rides a YZ 250 which he LOVES. He thought I might want to try out dirtbiking, so I've been borrowing a friend's XR100 to start (ridden like 3 times now) and I'm totally hooked. I LOVE it and I want to get my own bike so I can get even better. I've been looking around and I think I want a TTR-125L because it seems light, pretty quick, low maintenance and fun for a first bike.

I'm a 5'5 125 pound (25 year old) girl looking for a bike I can ride trails with and have a great time learning on while keeping up with the guys before I possibly move on to a 2-stroke. Is this a good bike for me? Any advice/recommendations are appreciated.

THANKS!

-Sarah :)

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Sounds to me like you have an excellent bike in mind :thumb:

Steve

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
Hey Cycledelic Neophite, where are you???
Wendy rides a ttr125l and she could tell you loads about it.
She's pretty tiny too.
But she gets around on that thing. :flame:
You can go to photos and look in Ladies MX.
You'll see her catching some serious air.
What kind of terrain do you or your husband plan on riding?
I see you're in Cali, Where??? :think:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Options:
Two stroke: KX80/100, RM80/100 (both have power valves if post-98), KDX200/220 (probably not the best choice, but an option & can be lowered) and don't forget the Pampera 250/280
Four stroke: XR100, XR200, CRF150, CRF230, DRZ110, KLX110, DRZ125, TTR125, KLX125.
I think that's about it, but it depends what you're comfortable on, terrain, but mainly what you're happy riding. The CRF's are new for 03, so no idea what they're like. I've ridden a DRZ110 & 125 and felt power-wise it was fine (real easy trail, no steep uphills), especially for someone smaller. To me that's way too small, but I also remember (at 5'3") how much hassle I had trying to get used to the KDX (I still get caught out sometimes, but not often). I haven't managed to score a ride on a DRZ250 yet, which is possibly another option.
Hope that helps some but it's probably confused you further. The DRZ's & KLX's are the same bike, just one's green & one's yellow (02 onwards) and they should be the same price (under the agreement with Suzuki & Kawasaki).
Good luck in your hunt

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Hehehe... I think Michelle summed it up; LOL! The XR100, KLX110, and TTR125L are all very similar "starter" 4-stroke bikes. However, at 5'5" tall you may feel cramped on them pretty quick. The XR200 might be a more comfortable "starter" size for you. This may not make a difference, but XR200s are also inexpensive and easy to find used. If cost isn't an issue, ya might want to check out that cool new CRF230. From all I read, that's a nice 4-stroke with a little more power to let ya grow into it. Oh heck, your first bike is just something to learn on anyhow. It's the NEXT bike that you'll be more picky about and hopefully get exactly what you want; LOL!!!

KimYZ250f

Apr 12, 2002
I'm 5'7" and started on the TTR125L. I didn't feel cramped. The bike was awesome on the trails. I re-jetted and added a T4 silencer and pipe. The only thing with my weight (135), I was killed the suspension when I went to MX tracks. So I bumped up the the YZ250F.

Go for the TTR125L. When you are ready to move up, you will be able to sell the TTR very easily and not likely to loose any money on it.

Kim

buckwi1d

Dec 2, 2002
All this advice is really helpful and I love talking to other girl riders to see what they are on. Thanks for responding!

Ok so as for the TT-R125L, I know it's a fairly small bike which is why I want the taller "L" version, but also I wanted to start on something that didn't intimidate me. Since I'm a beginner, a big bike does seem a little scary. I understand that I may grow out of the TTR quickly, but the main thing is that I want something to learn on before I do go bigger if I want. I like the fact it is so light at around 172 pounds compared with the new Honda 150 which is almost 50 pounds heavier for only 25 more cc. I just think right now when I'm definitely at a learning stage where I am bound to drop or crash my bike, that it might be better to get something that doesn't kill me to pick it up. What do you think?

Any tips for a beginner rider too?! This weekend may be my first outting on actual trails with my honey!! EEK

Thanks!

~Fe_Princess~ OOh can't wait to hear from Cycledelic! As for my riding, right now all I plan on riding is dirt trails with my hubby. And we are out in Northern California - Bay Area.

~Michelle~ Thanks for the advice. I will check out the Suzuki and Kawi models too.

~CJ Rider~ A friend of mine just bought a new CRF230 and I cruised it around a bit, but was not impressed. It kinda seemed like a slug powerwise (not much different than the 100) but weighed more than my hubby's YZ 250. Not the bike for me I guess, but I will definitely keep in mind your other suggestions as I look around! ;)

~KimYZ250F~ Thanks for the GREAT advice! I can't wait to get my own first bike so I CAN outgrow it and move on to something even more fun! I tell ya this is already becoming an addiction! LOL

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
COOL! Well, the first thing I remember working on is STANDING UP on the pegs when approaching bumps in the road or obstacles. Are you doing that yet?

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Sarah, we understand the intimidation factor. We understand the first bike syndrome. I had an old ratter for a couple of months but still wanted my "first bike" - I got a YZ80 big wheel (about same size as the TTR125L), which only suited me size wise, not riding style. However, I loved it but felt cramped after about a year on it.
The little bikes have only just started turning up (I felt the XR100 was too small & the 200 too big & heavy).
Glad to hear you've tried out the CRF, I wondered what that was like ;) I've met a number of women waiting for them here.
Good luck in the hunt.
Michelle

flying W

Mar 30, 2002
Here is an option that you may want to consider. I have thought about what bike to get my girlfriend (5'4, beginner). I thought of a TTR125 but I changed my mind. I'm going to get a Kawasaki KX85 and have the motor modified to 100cc's by Eric Gorr. He says that he can modify the motor to make it more beginner friendly than the TTR125. The main reason for going with the KX is that it weighs 40 lbs. less than the TTR That makes a huge difference by making the bike easier to stear, stop and pick up after a crash. Good traits for a beginner bike. Also, the KX has 4 more inches of suspension travel but the seat is only 1 inch taller. The extra suspension will help make the ride smoother. The major disadvantage is that you will have to take out parts of the motor, send it to Eric Gorr for the modifications then reinstall the parts. Whatever you decide to get, welcome to dirtbiking and enjoy! I think dirt biking is one of the funnest things I've ever done.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Why not just buy a KX100 & have Eric smooth out the powerband? Or are you talking about the small wheel version of the KX85? (we get both small & big wheel versions of all the 80s over here & I get confused as to what you guys get or don't get).
Originally posted by flying W
Whatever you decide to get, welcome to dirtbiking and enjoy! I think dirt biking is one of the funnest things I've ever done.
It usually is, but has some real unfun moments too, but it's never boring ;)

Karna&Justin

~SPONSOR~
Sep 27, 2001
Hi Sarah!

Where are you located in the Bay Area? There are quite a few of us gals out here that get together fairly frequently to ride trails (and sometimes we allow the hubby's to join in the fun!) Where do you normally ride??

There are a lot of locations close to you depending where you are and the Sierras are only a couple of hours away! I started a thread in the Organized Rides forum for a "Clear Creek New Year's Trip". You and your hubby should think about joining us!

Let's see... there is
Karna&Justin (Me out of Turlock on a KDX 200)
GETMETOCA (Natalie out of Modesto on a KTM 250 RFS)
Firelily and Buddy (Mini on a KDX 220 and Buddy from Pleasant Hill)
KTMChick (Belinda on a KTM 400and Mick from San Jose)
Jennifer (Jennifer on a DRZ 250 from San Jose)
Kali (no longer a poster from El Sobrante on a GasGas 200)
WoodsChick (Tami from Oakland on a WR250)
Fe_Princess (from San Francisco on a KTM 200 EXC? )
Racergirl76 (Kyra from Sac on a KTM 200 EXC)
did I forget anyone else???

and we can't leave out...
TreeFinder (Frank from Sac on a KTM 400)
Jonloa (John from Mountain View on a XR 250)
Pierre (Jennifer's hubby on a YZ426F?)

I know there are others on here so you should have plenty of people to ride with when you get some riding under your belt. Your best bet is to ride with people that are a lot faster than you then you will be forced to pick up the speed at a faster rate! We all have different skill levels so don't feel bad if you are a little slow in the beginning! Have you ever thought of racing in a family enduro? They are loads of fun! You can e-mail me anytime at husley@cs.com if you have any questions!!

Take Care,
Karna

Karna&Justin

~SPONSOR~
Sep 27, 2001
Oh and one more thing...

FYI, I started on a Honda XR 200...a little bit heavy and sluggish on some of the steeper terrain but a good solid starter bike for me ;-)

Karna

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Its funny to me now that the first bike I learned how to ride on (read: travelled further than 10 feet and got out of 1st gear) was a TTR125L.  At 5'10" I certainly felt "safe" with the ability to flat foot, but I also felt like a giraffe on a tricycle.  Nonetheless, I think my positive/safe experience on the TTR125 gave me the confidence to buy a bigger bike when it came time to make a purchase. 

My advice is just to get something you can grow into.  You are not "short" at 5'5" so you could defininitely ride something a little taller.  I suggest the kTm200.  Do you have any other friends with different bikes?  I lost track of all the bikes I've had the opportunity to hop on, and I've only been riding for less than a year myself.

Think about joining our NorCal Spode Group (Karna's List of folks, above).  I'm still the noob and it would be nice to finally have someone noobier than me ;) .  I can attest that we ALWAYS have too much fun out there!

buckwi1d

Dec 2, 2002
Thanks for all the advice everyone!! ;) Still need to go check out some more bike choices, but I gotta say I still really like the TT-R125L. Now I just gotta talk my husband into spending that much money for my Xmas present! LOL I'll let you know what happens!

Karna~ I'm in San Jose. So far I've only ridden at Metcalf and around some acreage Tim's brother-in-law owns in Morgan Hill. The guys go to Hollister Hills and Clear Creek though so as soon as I have my own gear and bike, I will most likely be headed out there with them! I can't wait!

New Years, thanks for the tip. I would definitely love to meet all the other Bay Area riders. I'll email you when I get a chance to find out more.

And thanks for the advice, I think I will be forced to ride with guys on bigger bikes and much faster than me like my hubby, but now that I know it will push me I feel much better about it!

Natalie~ Hmm I don't know many girls that ride, so most of my options are guys 2-stroke bikes that seem a little intimidating. I may just have to make a choice on bikes and go for it by buying my own and then riding it - otherwise I'm stuck on the XR100 when I can borrow it. I guess that's why I'm in here trying to get some feedback...

As for being the new newbie - bring it on! :)

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Even though it's been listed as not being the best choice (to each their own) I ride a KDX220 and I'm the exact same size as you (although most women my size don't have a 32" inseem.)  So far I've hit the track, trails and the dunes on my tank and I must say I am nothing but pleased with how he's responded.  Yeah, so he's heavy... so what?  I can't think of a better way to get in shape.  For being so heavy, you'll be amazed at how quickly it will respond through tight trails.  Don't rule out the KDX because everyone tells you to.  If you have one available to try, I suggest you take it out for a spin.  The only downside that I have found is that purple tank... *shiver* hidious! :scream:  Thank GOD for magic markers.  :confused:  Good luck chica.  ;)

Last edited:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Diane, clarification of my KDX200/220 (probably not the best bike to learn on). Sole reason, is the initial post - Sarah wants something she can flatfoot. I have no problems letting someone comfortable with the height/weight of my KDX give it a go, but if the person's about my height or even slightly taller (i.e. around 5'4-5'5") and female and learning, I've found they are generall intimidated by the bike's height.

From memory, you didn't start on the KDX? Not a slight at you, just I can't remember but don't think you did? I'm definitely not trying to start/finish an argument here (I have recommended the KDX to plenty of newbies and even let them ride my bike if they're comfortable on it). To be absolutely honest, I think at 5'5" a TTR125 is too small, but I'm not the one looking for my first bike and feeling intimidated by something taller.

I'd rather see/read about a woman who goes out, gets her first bike, has an absolute blast, gets addicted & then goes out & gets something slightly taller or bigger than a woman who goes out & gets something she's not quite comfortable with, has a miserable time & gives up.

These are my opinions and personally if you do look at a KTM200, check out the KDX first - it may be heavier, but it's not a race bike and probably easier to learn on ;)
Michelle

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Being able to flat foot bikes is nice when you're learning. Remember though that it isn't too hard to shorten them by lowering the suspension and cutting the seat foam. Changing the preload and moving the forks up in the clamps will affect the suspension, but you won't notice it until you've been riding a little longer. Then you can put it back. But then I'm always the one in here suggesting a full size two stroke and getting shot down for it so don't mind me . . .

I started on a XR 200 and it was pretty heavy and ungainly but solid. I got my KTM a year later and love every minute of it. I guess I've been riding about 3 years now and have made progress in leaps and bounds this past year. The biggest thing is seat time! The more time you spend riding the quicker you will learn. If you ride every weekend, you will be kicking ass in no time.

Have fun--can't wait to see you on the trails. Are you planning on making it to Reno in February? Check out the Valentine's Day Ride in the 'Places to Ride' forum or the Reno sub-forum in the West Chapter forum for more info.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
TTR125L would be terrific. Plus their resale is great. Also the KTM EXC 250 RFS sound like it fits into the group of bikes your looking at. In the zines, there's a bunch of copy on Honda’s new crf250X as the next trail bike of the year? Good luck just remember to take it easy!

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by Michelle

From memory, you didn't start on the KDX? Not a slight at you, just I can't remember but don't think you did?

You are correct.  I started on a CR125.   The only thing I truly learned on that bike was clutch, brake, throttle.  I'm learning how to ride on my KDX.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by dirty~d~

You are correct.  I started on a CR125.   The only thing I truly learned on that bike was clutch, brake, throttle.  I'm learning how to ride on my KDX.
Lol, I learnt all that (except the how to ride) on my DT125, then the 80 I learnt how to pick a bike up (the DT didn't last long & as I was being babysat all the time, the guys always picked it up off me). Now I'm learning how to pick lines so I don't get stuck on the KDX. I'm a slow learner and I've decided there's not much hope for me. I think I'll be having the KDX until I'm in a box or get totally fed up and I'm not sure which'll come first.
BTW, the guys were keen on me getting a 125 instead of the KDX, I still think I made the right move.
michelle

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by Michelle

I think I'll be having the KDX until I'm in a box or get totally fed up and I'm not sure which'll come first. 

LOL!!!  I hear ya on that.  My tank is NEVER leaving my side.  :thumb:

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
So how was your first weekend??
I started on XL125 and I envy you on a xr100.
I covet a ride on one of those.
I have a friend who rides a kx85 and she's just about to move on if you're interested in buying it. It will be probably too short for you though because she's only 5'1". She really has to pay attention to her revs constantly.
I would not suggest you cut your seat down either. I did that two years ago much to SFO's chagrin but insisted anyways. My riding position(sitting) was all wrong or I only had one position on the seat. But, unless you cut it straight...Being able to flat foot is a millisecond in the evolution of your learning how to dirt bike, so really you'll be tip-toeing one footed before you know it.
I still stand with the suggestion on the TTR125L. A four-stroke engine is more forgiving in those freak-out situations. I just wouldn't suggest a two-stoke for a beginner. If you come to Clear Creek, there will be many to try.
Hey Karna, I do ride a mx/c. Can't wait to meet you too!

buckwi1d

Dec 2, 2002
You girls are the BEST! I feel like I'm getting so much good advice. So here are a few more questions~

I still really like the TT-R125L, but let me just ask if I hadn't mentioned that bike, which one would you girls have recommended? I need something in that similar price range (new $2599 = $3K or so with fees), but I want to check out a few more bikes before I make the big decision and BUY! ;)

If you remember I am 5'5 and about 125 pounds. I'm definitely getting better on the XR100 and rode Saturday all day at Metcalf and was riding in 3rd and 4th gears on the beginner supercross track and having a BLAST! Bit scary at first but I loved it. Also keep in mind that at some point I may want to head into 2-strokes because for some reason I just really REALLY am drawn to them. LOL And I don't want something huge, but after riding more on the XR100 I do realize it doesn't have to be a bike I can flatfoot...with that all in mind and the fact I am still a total newbie...

Give me your thoughts so I can do a bit more research before I can't stand it anymore and just go get a bike!

Thanks!

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Well Sara...

I STILL go back to the old stand-by XR200 as a good size for you or maybe a lowered XR250 or DRZ250. Even better, you could try that KDX200 since it's set up as a trail bike that you'll definitely have fun learning on and you won't soon outgrow. Since you've already discovered that tippy toe is OK, that's a big step in the right direction.

As for 2-strokes other than the trail-ready KDX, I would try to persuade you not to look at those until maybe your second bike. I really like my little KX100. However to be honest with you, I would have hated it if I was forced to learn to ride on it. It doesn't have enough friendly low-end grunt to make learning skills easy. Here's and example of what makes it tough: Say you're following a group on a trailride when you see a a big hill up in front of you. There's a switchback the middle of the hillclimb. You start up the hill fine with enough speed, but you slow down in preparation for negotiating the switchback. Your rpms go down, which is fine if you are on a 4-stroke because your engine will lug and keep going like the energizer bunny. However if you were on a true mx-style 2-stroke, you have to keep pulling the clutch in ever so slightly and giving a little throttle until the rpms come up enough to make the switchback but not so much that your front end leaps into the air and tosses you. Eventually, you might think this type of thing is fun, but it's not fun when you're just learning. But, that's just my own opinion. I was kind of a weenie whenever I was just starting out.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…