Help me find the right bike :)

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001

Opinion? Sounds like an experience someone might have had... :debil:
It is such a drag to lose momentum on a steep hill. I right there with ya CJ.
We got long sleeves in today! I'm going to have to pack a suitcase just for you to take to Reno. :scream:

buckwi1d

Dec 2, 2002
Ok so after reading all your comments I think I'm just going to get the TT-R125L. I just really like it as a first bike. Plus once I feel totally comfortable with using my clutch and riding in different situations, then I can always try out a KDX200 or some other bikes and see if I want to make the move up. ;)

Sound good?! I can't wait to talk to my husband and see when we can go pick one up for me!!! I'm so excited!! It will be so great to be able to go out whenever I want and not have to borrow a bike!

BTW I'm also no longer borrowing helmets - my sister-in-law bought me one as an early Xmas present - so nice!!

-Sarah

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
If you were closer to Washington I'd have a 2001 TT-R125 for you, for $1800. I haven't seen the bike, but I know the guy selling it and it's a safe bet that it's in great shape.

Congratulations on the decision.  ;)  You'll have a blast!  Welcome to the club chica. :yeehaw:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Way to go Sarah :) With the new helmet, has it got a removable liner so you can wash it? I know us women don't sweat, we perspire, but damn, my helmet can't tell the difference sometimes ;) If not, check out a thread by CJ in the general? forum about cleaning it. I didn't read all the thread, but she got some tips that may help.

One thing I do suggest you get your husband (or anyone else you can con into getting it for you), is a rehydration system. Whenever you dump the bike, have a quick drink to revive you (plus it gives a few seconds for you to compose yourself lol). Makes life heaps easier.

Have you also got all the other safety gear? There are a number of threads in this forum about women's pants. No, we don't wear them to look good, but it helps if you're riding in the trees (I'm a bush rider, so that's my reference point for everything ;)) with sticks & stuff - had a friend who got a nice deep hole due to wearing jeans & a stick going through them & his leg - ouch. Lots of safety gear is a good thing, not a pose value thing.

Don't forget to tell us when you've picked up a bike & then we need a first ride report :)
Michelle

buckwi1d

Dec 2, 2002
I'm SO excited to get my very own dirt bike and especially a new TT-R125L that I just can't contain myself!! LOL In fact, I talked to my husband last night and he said that he wants to go pick one up for me before Xmas! WOOOHOOOO That would be the BEST present!! :)

Dirty-D~ Thanks for the welcome! And even though that bike sounds like a great deal, I'm still glad I'm way out here in sunny Cali. ;) Thanks for the thoughts though.

Michelle~ Yup the new helmet does have a removable liner and is Snell & DOT approved too. Thanks for the tips on getting a rehydration system and safety gear. One nice thing is that since its around the holidays, I'm just asking friends and family for all the equipment I need! Hopefully I can get the basics from them and work on the rest myself. And believe me, I'm all about wearing the gear - I do not want to get hurt just because I wanted fashion over function! :)

Alright I'll be back in when I have my new bike to give you all a first ride report! Send me good vibes! Maybe I'll see some of you out there!

-Sarah

wr450

Dec 10, 2002
Sarah:
I just started riding about 2 years ago, and my first bike was a TTR125L. My main decision making choice in my first bike was that I am only 5'0" tall, so I wanted something that I felt confident riding. It was nice being able to touch the ground pretty much flat footed! I just recently (like today) got my second bike, which is the new Honda CRF230. It's about 4" taller than my TTR, but I am a lot more confident now.

The TTR125L was a great bike for me to start riding on. It's relatively light, especially when compared to my new bike that weighs in at 238lbs, it's easy to start, and it's low to the ground. I am not sure where you are looking to buy, but I am selling my TTR125L now that I have my new bike. I live in Lodi, CA, so I'm only a few hours away from you. I have one person that has expressed interest, so please let me know if you are interested. It is all stock except for a complete Big Gun Exhaust kit. I do still have the stock pipe if you wanted too. Email me if you are interested @ sassiez@sbcglobal.net

I'm logged in under my husbands username, so make sure to use the address I listed if you want to email me.

It's a great bike to get started on . . . I highly recommend it to anyone looking to learn.

Talk to you soon,
Sarah

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
When I started riding all I had was a 3/4 face helmet and a pair of old combat boots. Never ever skimp on the riding gear. Another thing, make sure you get knee pads. Not being able to walk or limping for two weeks completely sucks! Any small bore entry level 4str is a good first bike depending on your height and weight. Just avoid the race models (2str or 4str).

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
oh yea, good luck! Concetrate on stopping before you learn to much about going. Most beginners usually panic throttle (and crash) if they are not taught with emphasis on the brakes. Again, good luck and have fun!

buckwi1d

Dec 2, 2002
OK so now that I'm going to be getting a bike in the next few weeks (emphasis on hopefully this weekend ;) ), I have some riding questions. Let me start with my first one~ how to corner? I feel like I can handle big corners no problem, but end up going so slow and wide on tighter ones. Any tips for me?

Fe_princess~ Thanks! I can't wait to get some girlie dirt gear!

WR450~ Thanks for the recommendation on the TTR as a great beginner bike - sounds like you did great with it and are moving on! CONGRATS! As for the heads up on your bike for sale, thanks but my hubby insists that my very first bike be a new one. Who am I to argue! LOL

Lissa~ Yeah my gear now consists of my new helmet, a long sleeve t-shirt, jeans and my hubby's work boots (ok I admit I have big feet). We both decided I will buy knee pads before we go out next and hopefully I will get a lot of the other gear I need for Xmas! As for the practicing braking - I definitely need to. Right now I mainly slow down by shifting gears and not by braking.

-Sarah :)

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by Michelle
I know us women don't sweat, we perspire...

Not this woman.  I sweat...  a LOT.  :confused:

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Originally posted by buckwi1d
... Let me start with my first one~ how to corner? I feel like I can handle big corners no problem, but end up going so slow and wide on tighter ones. Any tips for me?...

Yeesh, I was doing this ALL WRONG due to my streetbike mindset until I followed Nicole last summer. Since then, practicing corners at the mx track has really helped for the trails. Here's what I do now as best as I can tell:

1) Do all of your breaking right BEFORE you get to the corner
2) Move the bulk of your weight FORWARD towards the tank
3) put more weight than you think you should onto your OUTSIDE FOOTPEG
3) Press down on your INSIDE HANDLEBAR and push the bike to the inside
4) Keep increasing your throttle SMOOTHLY through the curve by about 20 percent or so from corner entrance to exit.

In this instance, it seems to me that holding your bike loosely between your knees instead of gripping tight seems to be the way to go for tight corners. It seems to help facilitate that side to side motion or something.

Last edited:

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
There is sooo much to motorcycle, you'll never stop learning! For turning in the tight stuff, always look at the exit of the turn, not your front fender. Do most of your slowing down before the turn, transfer your weight as forward as you can (squats the suspension, turns tighter), and gas it as soon as you start to exit the turn. When I started, I used to practice tight turns by riding in a circle (either direction) and going in as small of a turn as possible (regardless of how slow) with out having to put my foot down. Usaully, I'd be in 2nd gear with the bike tilted over and me sitting up (no berms). It works. Sounds stupid and you might look goofy, but I figured out how far and how tight I could lean it over with out having to plant a foot. Then try attacking a tight turn with a little speed. It will take time, so don't get fustrated. Good Luck and always, ALWAYS wear your gear whenever you throw a leg on a bike (you always need it when you least expect it)

wr450

Dec 10, 2002
Sarah:

Both my bikes (my first TTR125L, and my new CRF230F) were brand new, so I totally understand. I just thought I'd give you another option. I know you will have a great time with that bike!

Best of luck to you. And tell your husband we like him already for agreeing to buy you a new bike for christmas. Mine did too, and it sure is exciting! I was supposed to take my new baby out for the first time tomorrow, but they are forecasting a huge storm! I'll just have to wait and take it for a spin in the mud :)

Best of luck learning!
Sarah

alleycat

Sep 25, 2002
Hi Sarah, The ttr 125 sounds like a great bike, but you might want to look at the Honda crf150f. Dirt bike magazine says "the 150f is threating to make the TTR 125,DRZ,KLX obsolete." They also say "This short stroke mini is in a class all its own with new standards in power ,suspension,and handling." This was from the 2003 buyers guide.My thought is that for your first bike the crf150 will take longer for you to out grow.My friends were up this summer they brought three bikes with them. A 1990 kdx 200 a 1994 kdx 200 and a 1998 klx 300. I have always ridden 4 stroke bikes and thought my first bike in 15 years would be a 4 stroke. After ridding that day I found that I liked the kdx much more than the klx. The kdx felt like it was part of the trail. The klx felt like it was ridding on the trail. So I went out and bought a 1994 kdx 200.My point is just because the ttr 125 is a good bike for you the crf 150 might be a better choice in the long run. Plus it will be easier for you to keep up with your husbands bike on the honda. Good Luck on your bike shopping.

John

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Originally posted by Lissa
... When I started, I used to practice tight turns by riding in a circle ...
Oh yeah, Lissa! This reminds of a link: Mark Manniko's Basic Turns. This is the trials method of doing tight turns, but it totally translates to trail riding too. It sounds like what Lissa was doing too, but with additional pictures and arrows and stuff.

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
The CRF is beautiful and no doubt handles nicely, but it weighs 215 lbs.

I'm sure Honda will sell them by the boatload, but IMHO this is simply too much to ask a typical beginner of shorter stature, particularly a women that weighs mayb 130 lbs, to pick up or keep upright in a rock garden or other tough terrain.

If I was a beginner (teenaged boy or women under 5'7" or so) I'd look long and hard at the TTR125L before going to the CRF150F.

For my 12.5 yo, 5'6", 110 lb. daughter, I'm building a detuned KX100. Just the right size and weighs only 150 lbs.

buckwi1d

Dec 2, 2002
The good news or the bad news first?....

The bad news is that I think my honey and I are going to have to wait a bit before we get me the TTR. :( BUMMER!! Mainly due to the fact we went overboard on Xmas spending for everyone else! ;)

The good news is that it still looks like I may be getting a bike in the next few months and until then I can still ride the XR100 (thanks to a sweet sister-in-law) until I'm riding like a pro! ;)

CJ Rider & Lissa~ Thanks so much for the GREAT cornering tips - I can't wait to try them out over my days off for Xmas!

WR450~ Yup my hubby is the one who encouraged me to try dirt biking with him and now I love it! He really made my first experiences on a bike great by being helpful and supportive while still pushing me. And every time he tells me how great I did. He is definitely a keeper! BTW Thanks for the TTR wishes!

Alleycat~ OK so I admit I'm not really a Honda person, but beyond that for my first bike I think something with less weight is better. After I know how to really ride I definitely want to move up to a heavier, taller, more powerful one - but first things first. BTW The KDX 200 is definitely on my list of must ride before I move on from my first bike! Sounds fun! :)

CO Dan~ Thanks for the input! The weight and size of the TTR is exactly why I want it over a CRF150 at this point!

buckwi1d

Dec 2, 2002
Thing is that everyone we ride with (with the exception of my husband) is on a Honda and to tell the truth I wanted something a little different! ;)

That said, my main reasons for the bike I chose are NOT due to that but from looking at many stats on bikes in the beginner range and talking to friends and people online.
Then choosing the one I feel is best suited to me NOW!

-Sarah ;)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Yeah, she didn't tell you what her "cute little pink bike" is, did she?

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Lissa~ Yeah my gear now consists of my new helmet, a long sleeve t-shirt, jeans and my hubby's work boots (ok
Get riding boots & chest protector! beg, borrow, steal, max the palstic, Make a deal with the devil! New riders fall down. Take it easy and have fun. :thumb:

buckwi1d

Dec 2, 2002
Get riding boots & chest protector! beg, borrow, steal, max the palstic, Make a deal with the devil! New riders fall down. Take it easy and have fun. :thumb:

But that's what Xmas is for right?! ;) I asked for it all so hopefully I'll get it next week.

-Sarah

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by buckwi1d
The good news is that it still looks like I may be getting a bike in the next few months and until then I can still ride the XR100 (thanks to a sweet sister-in-law) until I'm riding like a pro! ;)

I don't often post in here (kinda feel like a peeping tom coming in this forum ;) )  But after reading this post I had some thoughts on your situation.  We bought my son a 2002 TT-R125L this spring and felt it would be the perfect bike.  It was a great user friendly starter ride but in a few short weeks he decided he wanted to try mx racing.  We sold the TT-R and moved him to a 2 stroke 80 so he could race.  While I really think the TT-R is a great bike I think that if you are delayed a few more months in your purchase and by then have a great deal of experience on the XR-100 you might want to think about purchasing "more" bike than the TT-R by the time you can fund the purchase.  If you don't get to ride much or aren't all that comfortable on the XR by the time you go to purchase then I think the TT-R is a great starting point.

Good Luck!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…