Help needed in making suspension disassembly tools

trialsmasta

~SPONSOR~
May 7, 2003
Hey I want to make some suspension tools so I can change my oil and I need the help of this board. I want to make a cartridge rod holding tool for showas. That little tool for the rod at the base of the fork. Can someone please provide me with some dimensions?
http://www.race-tech.com/images/TFHP01Small.gif
Slot width, slot length?

I also want to make a fork cartridge holding tool aka castle holding tool. What’s the outer diameter and inner diameter of the cylinder? I’m assuming that the slots ar 4 equally spaced slots. Also overall length of tool would be nice but not necessarily
http://www.race-tech.com/images/TFCH01.jpg

So if you own any of these tools, can you please take some time to measure them.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
what year bike is it? i have the rm125 02 showas, and they are twin chamber and dont need the cartridge tool.

the damper rod tool is easy to make, just make a 13-14mm (i think, so i will check) slot in a strip of aluminum.

dont skimp on a seal driver is you are changing those- motion pro makes a good driver for 46 and 47 mm forks

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
buy the giant top wrench instead. Actually unless you are interested in doing alot of suspension work you could get by without those 2 tools. Its easier to remove that bottom bolt (actually unbolting the cartridge rod from the rebound adjuster) with a friends help while you push down on the forks while upside down. The spring will compress and the cartridge rod will protrude and you could have at it. Trick tools are cool though .

trialsmasta

~SPONSOR~
May 7, 2003
Yeah I just learned that you don't need the castle holding too. I have the seal driver from my Kayabas but don't have the big ass wrench for the top or holding tool for the bottom. Not really interested in using a cressent wrench either. Race tech wants $40 for the top wrench and $20 for the holder. I guess I can measure that rod when I take it apart, but kinda wanted to have all the tools ready before I started.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
the thing is with the big wrench, once you get the fork cap loose, you dont need to tighten it back down tight again, so you might only use that tool once. Many people hand tighten the fork cap and rely on the top clamp to keep them in.

for the holder, i took a piece of aluminum and drilled 4 holes with a 1/2 inch bit and then filed the flat slot to around 12.5-13mm.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Nobody mentioned servicing a rear shock, but I built a really "slick" tool [out of readily available hardware store items] for removing & reinstalling both the shaft seal and the pressure bladder from the shock body. It makes going inside your shock really easy ! I'm not a "high" enough ranking member of this board to be "allowed" to post photos [seems kind of stupid as many of us "privates" often have useful items to share] but will e-mail pics of this tool to someone who is "allowed" to post if you'd be interested in sharing them.

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
Please allow Robcolo to show us his tool! We dont all have access to the high dollar factory tools. There is one thing i have learnt doing suspension over the years, it's not how much money you have (or start with) it's how smart you are with the money you have.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by dbrace
Please allow Robcolo to show us his tool!

as Steve Irwin would say...crikey mate!

email them to me [email protected] and i will put them up, but please remember it only costs $12 a year to get those privaleges and also private messaging etc and it helps to keep the site running.

cheers, BC

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
The owners manuel for hondas tells you how to make the damper rod tool. I have mine and it works great. I have a huge pipe wrench and i wrap the frok cap in tape when i use that wrench on it. but i am getting a big socket for it at a dollar store

thinliner

Jul 20, 2003
Here's what I did, I built the lower rod holding tool out of three pieces of metric keystock, two longer and a shorter one sandwiched in the middle for the width, works perfect. For the seal driver I used a pvc 2" coupling split down one side. Pretty cheap right? By the way I welded the keystock together to look likethe one in the manuel.

trialsmasta

~SPONSOR~
May 7, 2003
I finally got my tool made :aj:

Attachments

• picture 031.jpg
    picture 031.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 153

trialsmasta

~SPONSOR~
May 7, 2003
Thanks!!! Ha ha the holder has a special dual purpose. It doubles as a 17/19mm wrench/holder to fit between the spring coils. If I had enough orders I'd make up a bunch but alas no way to move mass quantities of product.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
look on ebay fellas. i got one of those wrenches and a rod holder. its made of laser cut stainless. i paid 25 bucks for the two. some guy is making them and putting them on auction on a regular basis.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom