Help on KDX 220 Descision to buy

jlpier01

Sep 4, 2002
I was told to post this here, rather than the what bike to buy forum.

I am a quad rider, currently a Prairie 650 and do not want to get ride of it. I am looking into a low-cost way to get back into dirt bikes after a 10yr absence.

I have located a 1997 KDX 220 with Renthal bars, and a Pro-Circuit pipe says excellent condition for $1800/obo. Says shocks just rebuilt.
1. Will this work well for a 6'2" 300 pounder?
2. What do you look for, any trouble spots on a 6 year old KDX 220?
Thanks in advance

Gladiator

Jul 28, 2002
Sounds like a good deal. You do need to consider that your weight is more than double what the stock suspension was set up for. I am 6' 2" also and 235 lbs. Close to 250 with my backback and gear.

Like I said it is a pretty good deal if it is in good shape. You will want to get the suspension beefed up right away though. I suggest going to:
http://www.mx-tech.com/core.asp

They are setting me up with some nice springs and a re-valve. Prices seem good.
Good luck and keep us posted.

jlpier01

Sep 4, 2002
Gladiator,
Thanks for your quick response. Do you have an estimate for what I would need to spend on springs. I know that on quads they are incredibly expensive.
Thanks again

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
My racetech rear spring from frp was $90 I believe, I don't know about the fork springs. If you go to mx-tech or frp they probably have the price listed.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
i think that is a good price too.dude u'll love the kdx,after set to ur measurements.i have become inseperable w mine....perfect bike,for me anyhow.i could not b happier with mine.kdxer's,talk to me , is this a great ride or what !!!!! fast,reliable,FUN,just miles of smiles !!!!!!

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
I can tell you that it will handle a 300 pounder. I weighed 314 when I bought my 02 KDX220. Hauled my big self around pretty good. You will need some suspension work but that come with time when you figure out the type of riding you'll do. I'm riding stock right now and making a list of things I'm going to change. drop the counter shaft sprocket 1 tooth. gnarley pipe, jetting and first I'm going to lower it a bit as 28" inseam and 36" seat height don't mix. Oh by the way I'm now 290lbs. It's really good insentive to loss the weight. Good Luck.

KDX all the way :yeehaw:

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
dapper where ya been?u hit the trails lately?interested in hittin the oneida lake region trails to panther lake w us some time?b glad to hook w u or any locals who wanna go cut up for a while.
dennis

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom