Help - Painting aluminium multi switch block

Rob84KDX200

Jan 31, 2004
hey folks...

here's another curly one, bear with me here... my jetting is sorted out and i don't need a rear kx fender or a kx front end... and i have an owners manual. :-)

i've an 84 kdx200, it has a multi switch block (for indicators, horn and headlamp). made out of aluminium, it's very durable but the black paint has worn enough to warrant a re-paint.

the idea i thought would be to strip and sand the switch block to bare metal/alloy, then spray a few coats of black paint. allow a week to dry. then i'd fill-in the lettering with white touch-up pen, and wipe away the excess without harming the black paint.

so far, i've had no success. tried a quick enamel spray (matt black), but paint won't harden, not very durable. the problem is when i try to fill-in the lettering with white touch-up pen, the black paint comes away. leaving me to strip the whole lot and try again... i've also tried liquid paper but that too eats away the black. tried a generic black chassis paint, also with no success.

any ideas? have i left something crucial out of the mix? lacquer perhaps? primer? all help appreciated as always in this fine forum...

ps. the crinkled sticker is fine now thank you... stuck 'er on today, and well... it sticks. :-)

Aflica

May 23, 2004
The problem is easily solved...Aluminum MUST be painted with an Aluminum primer first , or the paint will never stick properly.

Top Bottom