Blue Fire

Dec 9, 2006
Hey guys,

I just started rideing a year and a half ago on a 03 TT125L.
And the bike just doesn't hold up for what I need it for.
I'm not saying I abuse it or anything.
It's just it isn't powerful, big, or tough enough.
It was a GREAT learner bike but I need something more.
-So far I have done the following:
--chain
---front sprocket
----rear sprocket
-----stearing bearings
------rear wheel bearings
-------tires
*I'm 5'7'' :fft: 125lbs :think: *

I thought I would go through next year getting more expereince in and then start racing come start of the season 2008.

The only problem is I'm farily sure my titer won't take me the direction I want in racing.

I need a bike that will last me at least 2 years before I need to upgrade again. I couple things I would like.
-won't bottom out on the big jumps like my titer
-performs decent on both trail and track
-support my weight
-be comfortable on long rides
-decenty power and torque
-doesn't take to much modification to be race ready

Blue Fire

Dec 9, 2006
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'7'' 125lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
very. i like big hills. big jumps. and big challenges

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
all above.

4) Do you have any riding experience?
yes 1.5 years

5) Do you think you will race ?
yes

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
No. Although I have always thought of KTM's as awsome.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Yamaha

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
Under 5k.

10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Above post.

03_edge

Dec 4, 2006
i would say a yz125 becuase you have a yamaha dealer close by, but if you want a ktm go for it becuase you should get what you want. but i would say a 125 2 stroke would be good for you

KDX607

Mod Ban
Nov 6, 2006
125 2-strokes are good for you. BUT, you could also get a used ktm 200exc, it will hit most jumps with a 125lbs rider on it just fine, and will climb most any hill. A good track trail combo.

Blue Fire

Dec 9, 2006
My buddy said he would sell me a 03 KTM125 with new top end rebuild, new brakes, tires, radiator bolt, and bars, chain, along with his full monster energy jersay and chest protector, and a stand for a little over 2k. Is that a good deal and about what I need?

Blue Fire

Dec 9, 2006
I know a little bit. I don't think he would rip me off. Plus at max it has 1 decent scratch and it is all origanal fenders, farings, ect.

KDX607

Mod Ban
Nov 6, 2006
That sounds good. I'm just saying, a lot of bikes have the crap beat out of them, have new plastic thrown on and put up for sale.

Blue Fire

Dec 9, 2006
I jumped on it to size it up (never rode it just sat on it); I touch the ground with about 3/4 my foot and my weight bairly nudged it. Is this how it should be or should I be able to plant my whole foot?

I can touch with all my foot on my titer and it makes it kind of hard to plant my foot on the ground in order to sharply turn it by swinging the rear around. It just seems... crowded

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Blue Fire said:
My buddy said he would sell me a 03 KTM125 with new top end rebuild, new brakes, tires, radiator bolt, and bars, chain, along with his full monster energy jersay and chest protector, and a stand for a little over 2k. Is that a good deal and about what I need?
... the 2K is in line with the used 125 market given the extras. My general rule is buy used from a someone that races, to race you've got to take care of the bike. When buying used leave some extra bucks for top end and cluth kits... you'll most likely need them prior end of a season or sooner.

The foot thing... don't worry about, as long as one toe can touch you'll do fine. Knowing your looking to keep the bike for awhile you may want to check to see if a 144 kit is available... and check the price opposed a YZ/CR/KX. You get good fast you'll need the big bore to beat up on the 250F's I know many will post they beat the 4f's all the time... point is if your in the right class you'll need the extra cc's.

go for it... and don't think your going to jump off the ttr and do 70' doubles on the KTM... learn 2stk technique, speed and jumps will come naturally.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
KX250Dad said:
... the 2K is in line with the used 125 market given the extras. My general rule is buy used from a someone that races, to race you've got to take care of the bike. When buying used leave some extra bucks for top end and cluth kits... you'll most likely need them prior end of a season or sooner.

The foot thing... don't worry about, as long as one toe can touch you'll do fine. Knowing your looking to keep the bike for awhile you may want to check to see if a 144 kit is available... and check the price opposed a YZ/CR/KX. You get good fast you'll need the big bore to beat up on the 250F's I know many will post they beat the 4f's all the time... point is if your in the right class you'll need the extra cc's.

go for it... and don't think your going to jump off the ttr and do 70' doubles on the KTM... learn 2stk technique, speed and jumps will come naturally.

words of wisdom, KX250Dad, words of wisdom. i agree with everything you stated, just dont slap on a 144 kit a soon as you get it. you have to get used to the bike before you do any mods. it sounds like the bike is already modded a good bit, so it should last you a couple months, make sure you ride the bike before you buy it, though. ;) :ride:

Top Bottom