Help, pimping out my steering system!

Dec 9, 2004
I am looking to overhall my steering system. I am new to dirt bikes, I have only been on my KDX for about 6 months. I got a really good deal on my bike and figured I could spend the money saved on hopping it up (I have done most of the engine mods). I have gone through old post looking for info, and have gotten alot. Probably to much, I am now more uncertain of what to get.
I want to redo everything, handle bars, levers, bar clamp, grips, throttle tube etc.. I also want to get a steering dampner(leaning towards Scotts), and bark busters, you name lets do it.
I have around $800-1000 bucks to spend, so what would you buy!!

marksharp

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
Scotts damper

When I bought my Scotts set up they offered the damper, fat bars, top triple clamp and mounting hardware, everything new for $600. It all bolted on in about 30 minutes. I've been very happy, makes a great handling unit. Gold valves for the forks if you want to improve the suspension. Sounds like your going to end up with a very tricked out bike. Have fun

colhom

Nov 28, 2004
One quick note, make sure you replace all the bottoming bushings and seals in the forks, greatly improves handling. Also, make sure the neck bearings are greased and in good condition. Let me know what kind of price we're looking at for gold valves

DirtRoller

Jul 25, 2004
as one rock climber to another... set-up the front suspension with springs right for your weight. Play with the weight/ volume(oil) and pre-load first. Gold valves make little difference when the stock fork is set-up right.
Gold valves = small square edges... this is the difference(front).
The rest is not much different. This will be fighting words to some. OH well, what can I say.
Bars = yes (pushed forward for this bike)
Bart busters = yes (your brand of choice)
Since your a climber, I would think you have verrrrry strong forearms and grip = no need for dampner.
500 bucks left over for gas and oil = Riding Fun!
150gals @ 2.00 gal/ @ 25 mpg = 3750 miles

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…