Bushmaster

Jul 28, 2003
What clutch oil do I use? I bought a light gear oil made by silkolene that is 75W-80. Is this the right one.
ps. It's blue, whats up w/ that? :fft:

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
I use Valvoline 10-40 wt motor oil in mine. I fill it a little over the site glass, but not the whole quart like some guys recommend. For some reason my bike gets hard to shift in the upper gears when the oil is real high.

Mike.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Oil threads are risky ones to join in on...there are so many opinions out there!

I absolutely am not an oil expert (some guys here on DRN are - they work for the oil companies!)

I would caution the use of "automotive oils" in a two stroke engine. The API "service grade" for a bike should be at least a (SG?). Others have friction modifiers not good for clutches etc. I like to use Bel Ray 80 wt, or Maxima MTL 70 or 80, or Golden Spectro 80 weght gear oil etc. Note, these actually are NOT thicker than the 10w 40 type stuff - it is a different way of expressing the weight (dont ask me the difference though!)

Now, I can guarantee there are countless riders using auto grade oils and who have had absolutely NO issues with it. I just like to stick to bike specific stuff. Cost over a year adds up to what..and extra $20? worth the peace of mind to me.

Bushmaster

Jul 28, 2003
Thanx yall. I called my Dad and he said that the 75w-80 is what I should run so thats what I will do. Thanks agine for the info.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom