HELP>Those with experiance AFTER dropping circlip...

Runester

Jan 9, 2007
Hey all...Here is my situation, dropped a circlip in the crankcase of an rm65 and didnt get it out put it back together, rode it and of course the clip chewed up the top end. Is it safe to say that it is gone now or do I still need to split the case? Would a wash and rinse be ok to just take care of any bits that may be there?

Thanks!!!
Runester

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Better off to split the cases. Sorry, there really is no other good answer.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
BSWIfT is right. I mean You're into for the second tear down you really don't won't to take any chances. I'm sure you don't want to do a 3rd time.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I'm with everyone else, take it down and clean everything....depending on how bad the top end got chewed, you might consider a set of crank bearings, and a rod as well....if there are little chunks floating around....you'll just be back in the same boat....

Runester

Jan 9, 2007
AAAAHHHRRRRGGGGG....
Yea, thats what I thought...oh well I guess Ill put the splitter to use . It is a love hate relationship I have with working on my bikes and splitting the case is one of the things I would rather pass on but I guess its time to bite that bullet.
Thanks everyone, I guess I really knew that but didnt want to face the music,
Regards to you all!
Runester

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
When I first got my bike it was seized up from rust so we soaked everything in WD-40 to let it sit overnight to loosen it all up. The next day we turned it upside down, sprayed it all out with brake cleaner, flipped it back over and filled it with some gear oil. After that we flipped it back over and re-sprayed it out with brake cleaner and then finally dried it out with an air hose. This got all the rust and metal flakes out and the bikes been totally fine after the rebuild. (Knock on wood)

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I had a circlip problem once. I was opening up a snap-ring and it slipped off the pliers. The clip shot off into the lawn somewhere and was never seen again. The real pain was that it wasn't a standard size and it took 2 weeks to order one through Yamaha.

Top Bottom