Help w/ top end ?

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Hey guys, maybe someone can help me out. I just put in a new top end (and had my jug ported). Got it all buttened up and went to start it up and do a couple of heat/cool cycles, and it went strange on me. When it started it ran a little high in the rev range, and seemed to over rev w/ each blip of the throttle. I shut it down and sthe re-started th bike sounds a little odd and is surging. do you think it has an air leak? Any ideas on potetntial fixes or do I have to bite the bullet and rebuid again? :|

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Thanks SR, that's what I was afraid of, so I checked and sure enough, it's torn. Now I'm sitting here resisting the temptation to try to hold it with gasket seal and rebuild :o So much for a break in ride. :| I must have torn it sliding it on.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Beef,
I would reccomend installing a new OEM base gasket, especially since you have the cylinder off..
Rick

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
OEM base and head gaskets for me.

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
I always used Athena gaskets on my KX. The base gasket was a coated steel type, impossible to tear.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Dave athena's base for the kx is like the oem Ha? The cometics are junk.

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
I cant remember what the OEM gasket was like, I never bought another one. Im pretty sure it wasnt paper though. and I never had a problem with the Athenas. I used probably 4 sets of them and never had one leak.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Dave the kawa base Gasket is just like the athena you are describing EXCELLENT. Do the athena head gaskets come with with a coating of sealant like the oem?

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
the athena head gasket is just like the base gasket, except its embossed, if thats the right word for it. I never had one leak, and i even reused them a couple times.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…