help wanted in the uk

uktrail

Oct 11, 2002
Just joined the forum and was looking for some help if possible. Its been a number of years since I've been in the dirt (on a bike that is), used to have a yam dt175mx - cracking bike in its day. I'm looking to start up again and really fancy a kdx200/220.
I've seen one in my local press allegedly a 1999 model and was looking for some pointers to check out on that year of model. Are they prone to certain components wearing excessivly etc.
There doesn't seem to be much that I can find on uk websites to help and I found my way here. Any help from you guys would be much appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Well, you're likely to get a flood of info here, as you've struck the mother lode of KDX info. I'll open the gates with the following.

-- The KDX is essentially unchanged between 1995 and 2003, so the good news in that is its a fairly proven package.

-- I don't believe there have been any major deficiencies identified in the basic design, as far as reliability. Quite the opposite is usually credited, with the single caveat of weak pistons reported in some 220 models. I will defer to 220 owners to add detail here.

-- Nonetheless, most would warn you to expect some worn out or frozen bearings in the swingarm and rear shock linkage. They are poorly greased from the factory, and will most likely have had the gas unless the previous owners have been diligent. Similar concerns with the steering head & wheel bearings, but to a lesser extent.

-- Beyond that, you can visually inspect tires, chain, plastic, brake pads, etc.

-- I've not heard of any traumatic issues such as frame or crankshaft breakages, and the transmission is generally pretty tough as well.

-- Some serious competition riders will upgrade to stiffer clutch springs, but the stock KDX clutch is sufficiently robust to take quite a bit of trail abuse.

-- And its almost legendary for long top end life, given adequate time to warm before hard riding and the use of good premix.

I suggest you also check out the JustKDX website, and cruise through the articles there. Should get a good feel for what's possible with the old girl.

Cheers.

Sy_uk

Jun 3, 2001
as jayhawk says check the linkage and head bearings have been greased regular. the motor is bullet proof and once you do a few cheap mods it will run the ktm 200's for alot less money.

shr

Uhhh...
Apr 8, 2002
Just had to tell you that I had a MX175 too and yes they were a great bike in it's day (and think it still is)......, the kdx 200 would be my choice today.

uktrail

Oct 11, 2002
Well, thanks to all .... 23jayhawk, Sy_uk and shr (in no particular order).
I guessed the rear linkage would need looking at but wasn't sure if it was sealed (for life !!!!) bearings, or if it had grease nipples (does anybody remember what they are?) for those bearings.
I called into the local kwak dealer at the weekend to check prices for a new bike. He's going to give me a quote mid week as he says he can knock something of the quoted retail. Hope his pencil's sharp !!!
From what you mentioned (23jayhawk) about the swing arm bearings, do you suggest that if I got a new bike, to strip it before I rode it to grease everything properly?
Sy_uk, have you had any involvement in registering a new bike for the road? Are there any taxes etc to pay??
A lot of questions there, I know .... but I'm banking on you guys to help me through this initial pain.

Yours excitedly,
uktrail (now where can I get 3,600 pounds sterling????????????????)

Sy_uk

Jun 3, 2001
shop around and i'm sure you can buy one for about £3500 with on the road costs paid

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by uktrail

From what you mentioned (23jayhawk) about the swing arm bearings, do you suggest that if I got a new bike, to strip it before I rode it to grease everything properly?

If you buy it new mate you shouldn't have any problems whatso ever with the linkage berings. If you buy used I would definatly take a look at them. Back to buying new seince that's what it sounds like you are going to do. Check the setup meticulously(sp) loose fasteners, front axle tourque, fluid levels. In the rush to set bikes up some dealers over look things.

Good Luck and Happy Trails,
Phillip

vwboomerdog

Aug 18, 2002
greetings from sunny ? essex , get out there & indulge your self mate, buy a kdx & you'll never regret it , look after them right & they last for years....i should know owning an ' 88 ' kdx 200.
...............doing the dirty in essex, big style.
...................team green , THE only colour.

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
Jeff Freddette Racing has a video about setting up and maintaining KDX's. That might be a good source for info if you buy used or new. But it is $50. Check out at www.frpoffroad.com. He has many records on the KDX at the ISDE and other races/events since 1984.

uktrail

Oct 11, 2002
Thanks to everybody for your replies - lots to think about there.
Will keep you posted ref the second hand vs new bike situation.
Hope it's new (need to check my lottery numbers).

Have talking to somebody at work about the bike. They looked at the brochure I had and said I'd be better with a 4 stroke !! Got me thinking though.

I've posted a new thread to see what responses I get.

Thanks again.
Jerry :thumb:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
I already posted to you other thread, STAY WITH THE KDX!!!!!!

Phillip

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…