Help with carb... Dont run off.

bikerman

Sep 8, 2010
Hello, I am having trouble with jetting on my carb. Its a 2003 200 kdx. has apprx 100 miles on it. I have worked on bikes before so its not new to me and have printed and read the carb adjusting "manual" here on the site. I have changed the main from 160 all the way to 152, in increments, the pilot from 48 to 40, in increments, adjusted the needle from middle to top in increments, adjusted air screw also. I have adjusted the float according to the directions on this site. Each time i test rode the bike when i made each change. the carb and filter are clean, the trans oil is between the site glass lines, and used i dont know how many new spark plugs testing. The fuel mix is Kawaski racing oil at 32 to 1 with real hi test gas.
( no ethenol.)
The problem I am encounting is the bike will load up bad when i lug it thru the single track trails. it will lug down great, but if i need power, say to get over a log , i have to clear it out. I cant blip the trottle it will just sputter. The top end is great. When rev ed up , runs fine. A friend noticed that it didnt smoke till the front end came up. Float maybe? I have done plug chops at full trottle and half trottle, and it looks fine, but if i ride slow the plug is soaked.
In a 15 mile ride , it used 1 1/2 gals of gas... dang...
The bike is now jetted with 152 main, 40 pilot, needle clip set at top, air screw 1 1/2 turns out. I have ordered a 1173 needle . It came stock with 1174.
Any help would be appreciated. :bang:

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
You can try running the bike with the fuel turned off (sounds dumb I know) but if the bike runs poorly as you describe but then comes good before dying you most probably have a leeking float valve and fuel is overfilling the carb untill you use more fuel (by riding fast or open throttle) than is leeking. DO NOT ride fast down the road like this as the bike WILL LEAN out as it runs out of fuel and if hot can cause siezure . Good luck

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
Check the reed valves. If you have badly warped or broken or burned off reeds, the bike won't run worth a darn. Did anybody rebuild the engine lately? If somebody isn't paying attention and installs the piston backwards, the skirt timing gets screwed up and the little intake window isn't where it is supposed to be to help bring in the fuel mixture properly.

Top Bottom