Help with chest and neck protector

blaze84

Apr 21, 2009
I have a high school aged son that just bought his first dirt bike. I have never ridden one so I have no idea what kinds of protective gear to get him (I only ride street bikes). We bought boots and a helmet from Honda, but I was writing to see what kind of chest protector and neck protector to get.

He is 6', 170#. Will ride mainly on the trails to start but there is a small track by us too that he wants to go on when he gets proficient.

He was looking at the Fox Airframe Roost Protector. Is this a good product? However, the guy at Honda recommended an Acerbis koerta suit -- this one looked a whole lot more substantial than the Fox Airframe.

Also, what kinds of neck / collar protectors are there? Do you have to buy one that fits with your chest protector? Or can you mix and match?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/LEATT-MOTO-GPX-CLUB-NECK-BRACE/?catalogId=103975&words=leatt+brace&srchHistoryURL=9cgu55gu||words~leatt%20brace^parentCategoryID~category_root^categoryID~1^categoryName~Dirt

blaze84

Apr 21, 2009
FruDaddy -- thanks for the links.

JackFlack -- The guys at Honda said, knowing it would be primarily for trails, that it would be an OK bike to start on at the track and if he found it was something that he really liked to do more seriously that he would have to upgrade later. Does that advice sound reasonable?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I recommend the Leatt neck brace.

The Leatt brace generally works with most chest protectors but it would be a good idea to get the neck brace first (or at least at the same time) and then try on the chest protector while wearing the neck brace to make sure it fits properly.

Rod

Top Bottom