markkdx220

Jun 2, 2005
The weirdest thing just happened and I need some advise.I just pulled the bike out of storage and did all the routine maintanance.(change oil,clean carb,fresh gas,new plug.Well I started the bike and it was bogging so I was trying to warm it up so to see if it would clean itself out .after about 4 minutes I decided to adjust the idle and air screw to see if it would help and had no luck.So this is where it gets weird I was reving the bike and then letting it idle and all of a sudden the revs went to about 8k and I didnt have my hand on the throttle.I panicked then hit the kill switch and nothing happened.I grabbed a screwdriver and pulled the spark wire off the plug and it was still screaming ?? Next I tried to pull some wires apart and got shocked and fell to the ground.Next I pulled the gas line off and of course it was still screaming.Then I removed the idle and air screws and it didnt help.I finally pulled the carb slide out of the carb and it finally stalled.What the heck is going on.This is the one of the strangest thing thats ever happen to me.It should of died when I pulled the plug wire off.Any help would be apreciated.As of now IM afraid to even start it.Thanks in advance

Jun 2, 2005
determined kdx

it is well known that kdx's won't quit - but....yikes..

maybe that's why fredette is so successful..freakin thing wont quit, even when asked to

:coocoo:

StrokesX2

Mar 2, 2005
Well I'm assuming it was running fine before it was stored. If so It just sounds like a dirty carb to be, bogging = dirty carb, runaway idle = sticking slide. Of course I could be wrong.

markkdx220

Jun 2, 2005
Well,I got it running good now,this is what I did.The kill switch didnt work because the bars were powder coated and didnt ground properly.(although it worked fine before) I ground some of the paint off and put the switch back on.I pulled the carb as suggested and the low speed jet was clogged.The wire I pulled that shocked me must have been the pos + to the headlight and with the rpms so high gave me a good shock.I still dont understand how it was running after I pulled the plug wire off?? The motor is a bit noisy now but it seems to run good.IM suprised it didnt blow up,it just overheated and the radiator tank expanded and has surface cracks but doesnt leak.I wish this was all a nightmare but it happened and it isnt even my bike,I was just working on it for a friend. :laugh:

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Pull off the head, fifty bucks says that there is either a deposit of carbon, or melted aluminum shavings stuck on or near the spark plug. After a minute or two of running this deposit becomes hot enough to ignite the fuel air mixture, much the same way a glow plug works in a model airplane etc. This happened to me once on a home made scooter. I had a two stroke lawn mower engine attached to it, and I had been playing "race engine mechanic" at home by grinding the head down to increase compression. Anyway some of the metal shavings strayed into the plug neck and melted, thus causing the engine to run without a spark.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I think Brendan is correct above--a carbon deposit got hot and glowed keeping the motorcycle running and running. We learn from experiences (like this one). Start it up the first time after a long time - outside and where you can get on it. You kill it by putting it in gear and dragging it down with the brakes. Most times the kill button will not work in this situation because the spark plug is not the source of ignition (any longer). Glad you did not get a melt down! Cheers John

markkdx220

Jun 2, 2005
Thanks for the advise guys. I will definately learn from this experience.IM lucky I wasnt hurt and the bike is actually running pretty good. Our trip to forrest hill is still on for saturday.
Thanks Mark

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom