Help with Kickstart Retaining Nut

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
I just had the bottom end rebuilt on my KDX and put the first 130 miles on her two weekends ago. Last night while I was draining the oil, I noticed that the nut that holds the kickstarter on the spline was missing. :| I assume that they did not tighten or loctite it in when they rebuilt it and it simply vibrated loose and off on the trail. Anyways, the part # is 315G1200 and it appears to be a standard metric nut. Does anyone know the specs. so that I could replace it from the local hardware store and avoid ordering the OEM part? As easy as the bike starts and the minimal load bearing I assume that if I can match the size and thread pitch I'll be good to go. :ride:

Thanks in advance.

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Jason,

Thanks. I swore that thread was about the kickstand bolts. Wow, maybe I need to get my eyes checked. That might explain those trees jumping out in front of me too!

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Stopped in at the Home Depot last night and their sorry selection of hardware did not contain a 12mm x 1.25mm nut. Oh well, got the other stuff I needed. I guess it's off to the local mom & pop hardware store this weekend. They should have it, they have darn near everything and they are usually my first stop before the big box stores. I'll post to hopefully confirm the size on Tuesday when I get back to work. Have a safe and enjoyable hoilday everyone.

CJS1

Mar 27, 2004
To order the right one will only cost a couple of dollars. I had to buy one about two months ago. So unless you can't wait for the delivery time which should only be a few days then why not just order it?

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Gotta love the local mom & pop hardware store. If they ain't got it you don't need it! 12mm x 1.25mm nut $0.35 and I'm back in business. Now it's add oil, clean air filter and she's ready for next weekend in the woods. Thanks for the help with the size of the nut. They had two different pitches for that nut and I would of had to spend $0.70 if it weren't for you guys. ;) Have a great week!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
A standard metric (an oxymoron?) nut won't fit too well on the 'H' series.....it's too thick. You have room for such on your bike, I presume. Great!

Be careful when using loctite (or some other thread locking material) on that nut. It's easy to have it seep into the splines of the shaft. That may well make removing your kicker next to impossible.

Well...in one piece, anyway.

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Thanks for the tips CC! The nut is thinner that what a standard nut of that size would be and it is flush with the shaft when tight. I normally don't hesitate to go with OEM, but I think I'm okay here.

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
No problem. It's nice to help out. I usually only get info from here as I don't often have any to give with all the experts here! Gotta love this place, even if Okie's arcade may get me fired!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You might want to second guess anything that comes from the 'Green Room' (I think this is that place). It's commonly considered by those that consider themselves erudite and informed to be filled largely with useless drivel and erroneous, bogus baloney.

Cheers! ;)

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Oh yeah???? What would you know!!! :yeehaw:

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Yeah, but most of the time it's useless drivel and erroneous baloney that I didn't know to begin with! It's still a good way to pass the day at work.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…