What size is the kickstarter nut?

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
Well... my kickstarter nut, which I check for tightness after every ride, fell off in the woods yesterday. I don't want to pay a million dollars for a new one from the dealer, so i'm going to the hardware store. Any idea on what size and pitch of thread it is? I suspect 12x1.25 , but i'd like to hear that opinion seconded or a new one proposed.
Thanks,
Charles

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Mac,
The same thing happened to me not too long ago. I just went over to Auto-Zone and picked up a 12 or 13mm nut with a lock washer for under three bucks. Those guys are pretty good about letting you check the fit of the nut prior to purchasing it. Good luck!

someday

Jul 10, 2000
Be really glad the kick starter didn't fall off too like they often do. Know it's 12mm for sure, don't recall the pitch. Can look at a spare I have and advise tomorrow.

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
Mine fell off this winter. I only noticed it 'cause I stalled. Luckily I'd stalled about 300 meters before so I didn't have far to look for my kickstarter even if it was in the snow. I went to the dealer and he tossed me a new one NO CHARGE. Hey, I felt like a somebody. I think the thread pattern is pretty standard 'cause he was very blase about it. Anyway hey, just go in. It can't be that expensive.

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
MAC,
Sorry, I really don't remember the thread size, I may have been just lucky that of the first two nuts I tried one of them went on like it was factory. Have you tried the link on Kawasaki's web site, the parts index? I think it's www.buykawasaki.com for the main menu. Good Luck!

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
The answer is 12mm x 1.25 thread pitch. I bought 2 at AutoZone in the HELP! fasteners section. Cost was $0.99 . I threadlocked it to death this time, so maybe it will hold. Loctite blue is good stuff when used in large quantities. However, since I bought a pair, I tossed the other one in my backpack just in case.
-Charles

**edit** Why does the profanity filter disallow the word L I B E R A L ??

Last edited:

Top Bottom