georgia_tom

Feb 22, 2008
i have a 2003 yz250 and i think i need to change the transmission oil. first off how do you know when to change it? i have a bolt that you unscrew and you look around in there, where should the oil fill up to? second, what type of oil should i use for it? i have heard many different ones, 10-30, 10-40, car engine oil, people are saying all kinds of stuff, i would just like a good, solid opinion.

Thanks!!!!

destructo

Feb 24, 2006
I have had many 2 stokes and love em, because 2 stokes don't have filters for the oil, I tend to change my oil frequently, I change my gear case oil every second weekend, only use a 4 stroke motorcycle oil, or you will have clutch slippage, because of the friction modifiers in car oil. Look on the side of your engine somewhere close to the oil fill cap and it should be stamped in the side of the cylinder, it will say something like 750ml or such, what that means is just over 3/4's of a quart,in other words you will have about a 1/4 of a quart left over. I have never experienced any kind of engine failure from my Kawi's or my Yamaha's with over 15 years riding on 2 strokes, not so much as a burnt ring, I would also recomend a 32:1 on the pre-mix.

Last edited:

FNG

May 2, 2008
I use Gear Saver in my transmission. Depending on how much I ride in a season I change it at the beginning and somewhere in the middle.

polaris4x4er

Apr 7, 2008
i have been dirtbiking for about 3 years and have only had 2 strokes and i change my oil about every 3 hours of riding time and usally use castrol 10w30 or if your riding when its a little colder 10w40 and that seems to be working for me.

FNG

May 2, 2008
Coop said:
I have used ATF in my two strokes for 20 years. Cheap and works great.

I have been thinking of switching to ATF, and GEARSAVER looks just like it! I figure if it is good enough for a transfer case in a truck for 25K miles, then it should be just fine in a bike.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
ATF is good stuff (and cheap.) I change every 4-5 hours... not because the oil is worn, but because our clutch material and aluminum dirty it up, and make the oil abrasive real quick.

jodyboy

Mar 5, 2008
I have the same bike. Yamalube 3/4 of a quart. I know Honda, and KTM guys that run Yamalube. My next choice would be PJ1.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom