canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Well.....no. Actually the same old thing, but that is what you'll find the most on this forum. Doesn't mean it's not important, and I'll BET'CHA a good number of kdxs have this problem.

Re: steering stem bearings

Can't emphasize enough to service these, service these, SERVICE THESE!

My last service interval was 8 months or so. And that wasn't a whole lot of riding due to fire season shutting down the woods. The bottom bearing was notchy again! I rotated the race 90º to good effect, so didn't have to mess with bearing r/r this time.

And, yes...I do know how to install/assemble/adjust a tapered roller assembly. I used hydrotex parasyn-70 grease. It is good stuff!

Point is your bike will handle like complete crap with a notchy stem bearing...kinda like your bike's trail is about 2 inches (like a trike? Yanno?).

Moving the frontend back and forth with the bike on a stand won't tell you much. Too much weight. You have to remove the wheel and the forks (time to replace the oil in them anyway, 'eh?) so that only the stem is rotated to effectively feel a slight notch.

And a slight notch is all it takes!!

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
I don't understand you guys who keep complaining about grease problems. INSTALL A GREASING ZERKS AND FORGET ABOUT IT! Its worth the initial trouble. I do this on all my bikes even before riding a single mile. On my 2003, 220, the bottom racer wasn't set properly at the factory.... Kdx is a great bike, but, boy are they badly assembled by KHI (trottle cable not routed properly, no grease on the steering head, loose bolts, etc) Not impressed.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
How did you install a zerk fitting for the upper and lower head bearings? I would think that the tappered race would keep the grease from working its way to the rollers.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
A grease fitting works. It's installed in the steering tube. You end up with a boatload of grease in the steering head. On a hot day, you have a mess that won't quit.

I'm aware of the grease fitting possibility. A couple more bearing failures and I may change my mind regarding its usefulness.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
It is really an issue of lack of grease, grease getting contaminated with dirt/water, or just an improperly adjusted stem lock nut?

With less than 5 miles on my bike, I took the stem apart, cleaned it, then loaded it up with the best Penzoil marine grease I could find. Seated the stem properly, without wheel, forks, etc. Spun nicely, with zero play or resistance.

After only about 5 hard rides on it, I noticed quite a bit of play with the bike on a stand and the front end off the ground. Grabbing the bottom of the forks, I could rock the stem back and forth. Had to take it all apart and snug it back up. This time I snugged it a fair amount tighter than I did the previous time. No real resistance, but definately a tighter fit.

Perhaps because it was a new bike, the stem/bearings had to break-in a bit, and required a few re-adjustments in the first few months?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Smit-dog:
re: 'seated the stem properly.......'

I'm not looking at the manual, but the 'seat' pressure is quite a bit...something like 29ft/lb I think. Pretty darn snug, anyway.

Then it's backed off and snugged again to finger tight.

I'd like to have a tool that fit a spanner nut. The local tool-guy doesn't have such. Maybe one of those 'As seen on TV!!' spring loaded pin doo-wahs...That would work if it was large enough in diameter.

Maybe one of your races wasn't fully seated?

You can adjust the stem without taking it all apart. Loosen the bottom clamps and the head nut, then adjust the spanner nut to suit.

Yeah...there was a bit of 'baby poop' indicative of water getting in there. At the top bearing, the stem is actually corroded. No, I don't direct power-spray up there when I clean the bike after a ride.

RJ:
What's the brown/corrosion-looking stuff on the rollers? Is it brown/corrosion stuff? ;)

It's the bottom bearing that takes the beating. I have yet to replace the top one....the easy one. The bottom one is a booger to get off. What did the bottom race look like?

On the 'zerk it' plan. I recall someone saying they put a piece of PVC in the steering tube to take up some space....less grease to fill it up with.

I may well end up going that-a-way..........

p.s.
You call that rad 'hour glass' in shape??? Ha!!! You should see mine. BOTH of 'em!! Make yours look pristine.

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Ya know you are making me feel better. I thought I was some kinda idiot when I had my KDX. I replaced the lower Steering bearing twice on my bike in 1.5 seasons! I thought I did something wrong putting it back together because I'd only get 6-9 months out of it. Seems that you are having the same problem.

Maybe it's a "fast guy" thing where the front end spends lots of time in the air and dirt or dust gets scooped up under that bottom seal into the bearing easier? :flame: Yeah, thats it!

Last edited:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
CC,

Would it be that difficult to install a "zerk" at the "top" and "bottom" of center?

Meaning when the bars are pointed forward, drill a couple of holes, insert a zerk and add greasse(sp).

Both of these on the stem and centered on the forks facing to the front, under the # plate. Protected from mud and such. Easy drill and heli-colil....Add the Zerk, voila!

I'm sure you have thought of this.......

PK

;)

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
If I see KDX/KAW corperation doing this I will call "NO GO!"

Just kidding, I am sure Team kdx and kx has been working on it for years.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by canyncarvr
Smit-dog:
re: 'seated the stem properly.......'

I'm not looking at the manual, but the 'seat' pressure is quite a bit...something like 29ft/lb I think. Pretty darn snug, anyway.

Then it's backed off and snugged again to finger tight.

I'd like to have a tool that fit a spanner nut. The local tool-guy doesn't have such. Maybe one of those 'As seen on TV!!' spring loaded pin doo-wahs...That would work if it was large enough in diameter.

Maybe one of your races wasn't fully seated?

You can adjust the stem without taking it all apart. Loosen the bottom clamps and the head nut, then adjust the spanner nut to suit.

Yeah...there was a bit of 'baby poop' indicative of water getting in there. At the top bearing, the stem is actually corroded. No, I don't direct power-spray up there when I clean the bike after a ride.

RJ:
What's the brown/corrosion-looking stuff on the rollers? Is it brown/corrosion stuff? ;)

It's the bottom bearing that takes the beating. I have yet to replace the top one....the easy one. The bottom one is a booger to get off. What did the bottom race look like?

On the 'zerk it' plan. I recall someone saying they put a piece of PVC in the steering tube to take up some space....less grease to fill it up with.

I may well end up going that-a-way..........

p.s.
You call that rad 'hour glass' in shape??? Ha!!! You should see mine. BOTH of 'em!! Make yours look pristine.

CC,

Remember, the ammount of greese that you add, the ammont that you dispell...Hence, only good goes in and bad comes out.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Originally posted by canyncarvr
RJ:
p.s.

CC, the brown stuff looks to be grease with a little dust mixed in for coloring. Go back and look at the bottom of the race on the stem, the grease is a cream color. I cleaned them real nice, and looked them over real good. No problems so far, knock knock knockin on wood.

I'm not sorry I couldn't one-up-ya on the radiator. Were you really really far from the truck when you did yours? Like I was. On pins and needles the whole way back. :worship:

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
If you're planning on Zerking it, you're gonna have to disassemble completely and de-burr the inside after drilling and tapping. Clean it out extremely well-metal shavings won't be good for the bearings. As for heli-coils, no need for them unless you strip the original threads.
All you'll need is one zerk anywhere between the top and bottom bearing. The grease will probably reach the bottom bearing first when initially filled but as soon as this happens, it'll go to the top before exiting(path of least resistance).
You may have difficulty ensuring it exits through both bearings. You could solve this by putting some kind of spacer somewhere in the middle between top and bottom bearings(imagine a kind of doughnut with the stem passing through the center and the outside of the doughnut sealing against the tube) effectively creating two separate grease compartments. Wouldn't be hard to do and guaranteed to keep the dirt out! I've been lazy about checking my bearings(haven't gotten that much riding in) but when I disassemble, I'll do it and with new bearings. IMO: some effort invested, lots of effort saved.
Differing opinions are welcome!

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Stop it! you guys are making me feel guilty! :(

I bought some new bearings for my GasGas about 3 months ago & haven’t fitted them yet (regreased them when they were starting to seize up, man they must leak some as a Trials bike doesn’t get that wet).

Guess I should be redoing the KDX soon.
You don’t even want to hear about the shim I have in the top bearing :ugg: (It was late & the ride was the next day & the wrong bearing was new).

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
CC & Fred your failures weren’t from improper installation its becuse you people ride like mad men! And that old green bike just can't take and gave up.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
fred: re: idiot and bearing install

Just cuz your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!

;) Just kidding! Yeah...it's the front end in the air that causes bearing failure. I KNEW it!

Ha.

If I was 1/2fast as I think I am...well...I wouldn't even be moving!

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
Here's another way to check your bearings:

Ride no handed on a paved road or smooth gravel. If this isn't easy because the bike wants to track in one direction or the other then your steering stem bearings are shot or adjusted improperly.

Top Bottom