ORBA
OFF-ROAD BUSINESS ASSOCIATION, INC.

(619) 449-0778

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

OFF-ROAD BUSINESS OWNERS MAKE STRONG
PITCH TO STATE LAWMAKERS

Capitol Visit Focuses on Increased Recreation Demand
While OHV Opportunities are Rapidly Decreasing

SACRAMENTO (June 15, 2003) - Roy Denner, president and CEO of the 250-member Off-Road Business Association (ORBA), told Senator Denise Moreno Ducheny (D-San Diego) that his organization desperately needed her help in passing legislation that would add more off-highway vehicle (OHV) parks in California.
“I not only support more OHV parks in California, but I want you to know that I am on your team to secure a site for off-road enthusiasts in San Diego County for an OHV park,” said Ducheny. “I fully support your efforts to secure an OHV park for off-road enthusiasts in San Diego County. I supported recent legislative budget action to fund an OHV park in Riverside and other areas of the state and I will work hard to preserve access to the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area. Off roading is great family recreation and I fully support it.”
Denner was joined by seven ORBA board members and Jim McGarvie, ORBA senior vice president, who recently walked the halls of the California State Capitol talking to lawmakers and their legislative aides about the importance of off-road recreation in California and the fact that recreational opportunities are declining every year.

“This visit to the Capitol was critical for our association and our members,” said McGarvie. “ORBA is only two years old; however, ORBA members represent approximately $3.7 billion to the state’s economy. We are concerned that anti-access groups throughout California are working diligently to restrict our access to public lands.”
Denner and his group told Senate and Assembly Members that while OHV registrations have increased 144 percent over the past 22 years, the land available for off roading recreation in the California desert has decreased by 48 percent during that same period.
Joining Denner were ORBA business owners Cory Hove, ALBA Action Sports in Poway; Rocky Trevino, Cycle Parts West in Spring Valley, Tracy Hopper, Fiber-Tech in Santee; Grant George, Funco Motor Sports in Rialto; John Pederson, Southern Motorcycle Supply in San Diego; Roy Dehban, KAR TEK in Corona and Britt Dhalliwal a Holtville rancher.
“Our association is relatively new, but we are motivated, and we are getting more involved in politics,” Denner said. “We are upset that hypocritical anti-access organizations have been influencing what the politicians will do and how they vote without input from off road groups.”
Denner said that Senator Dennis Hollingsworth (R-Murrieta) is just one of the many state lawmakers who is fed up with the government’s out-of-balance sense of priorities.
“The Endangered Species Act (ESA) makes no distinction or priorities as to what needs to be protected and environmentalists have used the Act to shut down vast areas from the public,” Hollingworth told ORBA members. “The ESA harms people, property rights and the very animals it was designed to protect. We must get organized, become activists and link with like-minded groups and take back our public lands for all the people.”

Pete Conaty, ORBA lobbyist, accompanied the group on this first ORBA visit to the Capitol and emphasized to legislators the importance of getting behind legislation that would add three new managed off road recreation areas in California, including one that is desperately needed in Kern County.
“I overwhelmingly support the off-highway vehicle program and the need for such a project in Kern County,” said Assemblyman Kevin McCarthy. “I am confident that this measure is a testament of what can be accomplished when initiative is taken to get things done for our constituents and I will be rallying my colleagues to get behind it.”
Denner said that the $49 million earmarked for the new OHV parks and upgrading of an existing park near Sacramento, is OHV trust money already set aside for land acquisitions. No money for these new parks would come from the general fund, he said.
“Several legislators have asked us the question ‘how much land is enough?’” said dune buggy builder Grant George. “Our answer is simply how much land will be required within the next 40 years when this state’s population is expected to double. Most of us have children and grandchildren and there isn’t one of us here today that isn’t worried that our kids won’t have a place to ride.”
Assembly Majority Leader Marco Antonio Firebaugh (D-South Gate) told George and other members of the ORBA contingent that he is very supportive of off-road sports given his own personal experiences. “These sports are growing in popularity and they provide quality recreation for our families,” said Firebaugh. “I would much rather see our kids riding trails and than hanging out in the streets and getting into trouble. I am supportive of reestablishing some balance in our policy toward off road activities.”

###
ORBA is a trade association composed of off-road related businesses united to promote common goals that support the prosperity and growth of the off-road industry. Off-road volunteer organizations that are working at the grass-roots level on specific land use issues can appeal to ORBA for financial and political support. ORBA Directors will decide which issues to support based on potential impacts to the off-road industry.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
That's good news Jim.

Roy is my all time hero. :worship: We ALL need to support him.

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
Excelent.

Please folks.....support those ORBA members and buy from them if possible...and let them know thier ORBA association is appreciated!

Also, for us individuals, please support the Blue Ribbon Coalition at www.sharetrails.org . They do a lot for the local riding areas and fight for YOU.

Top Bottom