Hey 89r - coating aluminum for outdoor use

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Hi Terry,

I'm making some horse gates for my buddy's father-in law (he let us build a little track in his back pasture).:cool:

I'm going to make them out of 6063 T52 aluminum tubing and I wanted to coat them with something other than paint. I'd like to keep the Scotchbrite buffed finish so I was looking for some clear coating that would handle Chicago winters (and summers).

I was wondering if you have any experience with:
STEWART SYSTEMS EVERSHIELD CERAMIC SURFACE TREATMENT?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/evershield.php

It looks like it might be just what I need for this and a few other projects, but I was hoping to get some feedback before ordering it.

Thanks,

Rich

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Rich, That seems awfully expensive for a gate of 6063. I built 3-bike stand for a truck out of aprox. 100 feet of 2x1/2 6063, mig'd & scotchbrite with a diegrinder. The stand has been outside for 4 years w/ only the normal oxidation. In other words it still looks new. Unless it were subjected to salt spray or chemicals I would just let it oxidize. I spent 30 years on the various seas, fresh and salt, and found that aluminum coatings were only required in adverse conditions, ie. bottoms. Of course you are near Gary and if the wind is blowing just right... :nener:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Thanks for the info Uchytil. I'll probably end up going the same route.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I've heard of people using this nifty new product as a coating for outdoor use.

I believe it's a french word . . . paint

:nener:

B

biglou

Or as Rich would say, "A flammable, heavily-pigmented, aerosol-dispersed, highly evaporative, V.O.C.-laden petrolium distilate..." :p

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Have you considered having them clear anodized?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Hey Rich.

I have never used that product. Although it sounds pretty trick. I may order some and try it. Can't imagine why they would need it on airplanes. They use alclad aluminum on most of their applications and it is highly corrosion resistant. Can't be welded though. Maybe for the slipperiness. :whoa: Is that a word?

I would probably have it clear powder coated or clear anodized like Tony suggested. Or, like Uchytil said, leave it bare. You can always re-brush it every couple of years. That would give you an excuse to come back and ride the track too. :ride:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
XRpredator said:
I've heard of people using this nifty new product as a coating for outdoor use.

I believe it's a french word . . . paint

:nener:

Only Philistines and Chopper guys who do ****ty metal work paint over TIG welded Aluminum you big potato stinkin' reprobate. :yell:

Ol'89r said:
I would probably have it clear powder coated or clear anodized like Tony suggested.

That would be best for sure, but then I can't do it all myself, which takes all the fun out of it. I think I'll buy some of the Evershield, coat half the gate and leave half in raw form and see how it fairs. Then I'll have even more reasons to stop out there ... yanno to monitor the experiment. ;)

B

biglou

Rich Rohrich said:
Only Philistines and Chopper guys who do ****ty metal work paint over TIG welded Aluminum you big potato stinkin' reprobate. :yell:
Rich. Dude. You gotta stop holdin' back your true feelings. It's not healthy...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
biglou said:
Rich. Dude. You gotta stop holdin' back your true feelings. It's not healthy...

... I'll try and be less repressed in the future Lou. :whoa:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
... I'll try and be less repressed in the future Lou. :whoa:
. . . And all the time, he was getting stopped and pulled over and asked for his ID, man . . . just everywhere he went, he ran into too much recession, man.

No, man, you mean he ran into too much repression, man.

Aw, "repression"..."recession"...it's all da same thing, man.

Yeah, man. But, it's a drag, man, 'cause we could sure use a dude like that right now.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
... You want a toe ? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
That would be best for sure, but then I can't do it all myself, which takes all the fun out of it. ;)

Rich.

Check out the powder coat gun available from Eastwood. A friend of mine uses one and they work great. I just bought one and am setting up a powder coat booth and oven in my shop. You are only limited by the size of your oven.

The gun sells for about $70.00 and the powder paint is $8.00 a bottle. Many. many colors available. Of course, you would need a large oven for your gates but for small parts you can use a toaster oven or an electric range oven.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ol'89r said:
Rich.

Check out the powder coat gun available from Eastwood. A friend of mine uses one and they work great. I just bought one and am setting up a powder coat booth and oven in my shop. You are only limited by the size of your oven.

The gun sells for about $70.00 and the powder paint is $8.00 a bottle. Many. many colors available. Of course, you would need a large oven for your gates but for small parts you can use a toaster oven or an electric range oven.

Thanks Terry, I'll check that out. :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom