home made skid plate check it out!

mj4trax

Dec 8, 2009
I like it. Plastic skids seem to retain their shape pretty well.

What did you do to make the bends in the plastic? Heat gun?

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Nice work. Is that UHMW?

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Homemade stuff for rocks.....

Very nice job. Is there a polyethylene cutting board missing from a kitchen near you?
The stuff is very tuff, practically indestructible & easy to fabricate with wood working tools. I've seen bushings made of uhmw that worked on steel shafting in a dirty environment, the steel suffered way more wear than the bushings. Consider some drain holes located in the aft sections to allow mud , water, sand to escape. Unibits work great for this, creates a tapered hole & resists grabbing . good luck! :cool:

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
I use cutting boards to make "slide gloves" which are a glove you use in high speed carving on a longboard (long skateboard). When you are carving a hard turn you can lay over and drag your palm on the ground and these work as a protective puck to skid along the concrete. I just cut them to size, get a pair of rough leather welding gloves, hit the back of the 'puck' with a propane torch until it gets a little watery looking, then smash the palm of the glove onto it. It's about a $6 slide set which is ugly as sin, but lasts longer and cost a heck of a lot less (about $75 less) than a pair of gloves specifically designed for this application.

I wonder If I could make a disc guard out of this stuff for my rear disc.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
That depends on how much you drag the brakes (causing excessive radiant heat). Remember that material goes completely liquid at 375 degrees f. I prefer aluminum for that ( 5052 or 6061 0r 7075) 3\16 or 1\4 " thick. Quite often my rear rotor can be blue when riding tight stuff aggressively. (600 f) even if you try one & it fails, it won't cost you much. good luck

dirtnap007

Apr 19, 2009
haha yes it is a cutting board

i made a template with cardboard and then cut it out and then held it up to the bike and bent to make it look how the curves would be
then i cut it out on the cutting board and marked with a marker at the point where i needed to bend it with a heat gun and a vise

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Just curious, what did you use to attach it to the frame? Got pics?

dirtnap007

Apr 19, 2009
yeah i will put some more picks up, i just used "u" brackets and tapered metric screws with locking nuts. i tapered out the holes so it would look flush to the skid plate.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…