kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
KDX 250 graphics are not avalible on the market so me and my riding buddy made one kit for his bike with the help of our local stikers shop for 15 $us. Look at this, maybe it will give you idea to make your own kit!

http://groups.msn.com/KDXRidersCommunity/danielridingbuddybikeupgrade.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=565

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
those are sweet does anybody have a template of the 95 and up KDX shrouds on their comp so I can try this out? also, where do oyu het the vynil or the paper for these? thanx

ninjaman

Feb 10, 2002
I have some scrap peices I could sell you really cheapjust to get them uot of my shop area. What colors are you looking for. A neat color right now is Blue Chrome as well as Red Chrome.

spikes

Jul 12, 2002
I made up my own profiles from pics on the net and scaled them to fit perfectly. I work on a design package but can cut and paste to any other programme within reason. I think the only problem for you guys will be rescaling them but won`t take so many attempts to get the size right.
One thing you could do is contact a sighns place (that`s where i bought my stick-on vinyl) and ask what format file they can use for making your stickers on there P.C.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
My friend is in the automotive stripe business and sign maker and the vinyl he used on my son's number plates blew of with the pressure washer and did not hold up. Those vinyl shops have vinyl thats made for metal and not plastic. you might want to be careful with this stuff before you spend a lot of money on them. The are not 12-15 mil like the aftermarket graphics you buy from the shops. It also has a different adhesive which is made for metal not plastic. Just a word of caution.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
A good fix for those vinyl graphics to not get washed off is to apply mx clear sheets. Although I sure do like the idea of all the companies out there that already have templates for your bike and make it thick and put whatever u want on there and it is sublaminated printing. my side panels are looking for help by those dudes. Plus they can incorporate company logos where the vinyl graphics shop would need to scan it in their computer. Has anyone went this route on the thick custom graphics and been happy about it.

spikes

Jul 12, 2002
Tell your friend it`s his own fault for using a high pressure washer on his bike Phil, a guy with his own aut trimmers should know better. The point is, the vinyl is cheep enough to make your own at a couple of bux per metre. I`ve had my stickers on now for about 6 months and no probs.

ninjaman

Feb 10, 2002
Vinyl will stay put even on plastic if you take the time to do it right. If you seal the plastic with a clear acrylic or enamel, most can take a little flexing with out a problem, after it is dry put on your vinyl as you would any other. If you really like the way it looks and want it to stay put on a light coat of clear again. Cant get power washed off at all.
Be warned that if you buy vinyl from a sign place get the best vinyl they carry, I am in the sign bus. and people sell some cheap crap at high prices.
The high priced stuff will conform to angles and curves better and last longer to the UV rays and not fade as fast and have better adhesives on them.
Go with a cast vinyl not a calendered vinyl.
Cast will want to lay flat to that ever it is attached to, calendered vinyl will want to shrink up more and have more of a tendancy to lift off the substrate.

Just a few pointers for you guys.

kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
nijaman you are right.Under the old graphics the plastic was immaculate (brand new with no scraches)The sticker is there for ever! But i will be careful when i will wash the bike.Thanks philipp!Anyway if it dosent work or peel I will buy kdx 200 graphics and trim it. dont forget that this homemade kit cost us only 15 bucks!

ninjaman

Feb 10, 2002
I was going to add one more thing, If you want to really set your bike apart. You can paint your vinyl before you apply it, you can put on fades, different colors, special effects etc. You can use Createx paint from a craft store. The water based stuff works great and easy to work with. You can use some Krylon paints also but use lite coats because it will eat into the vinyl and make it bubble up.
First just scuff the vinyl with a scotch brite pad to take off the shiny surface to let the paint stick better, than wipe it with a towel that has a little achohol on it to clean the vinyl. Put whatever fades, colors etc on it and than clean coat it and you will have the tricked out bike around.
I do it all the time to stock car numbers to set their cars apart from the others.
If anybody needs certain color fades let me know, I have several around from different projects that I have done and will sell to you at cost, $ .03/ sq. in. plus shipping.

Hope that tip helps you guys out with your vinyl.
Cant wait till the weather warm up to get my bike out and rip the hills.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom