Tin Man

Mar 2, 2001
Background: Always had 2 stroke, thinking about 4 stroke. Don't race, ride mostly at Wellsville OH. Woods, rocks, tree roots, big nasty hills, Simply put, near paradise. First bike, 1970 Bultaco, rest all Yamaha till present,98 KTM 300 MXC. Usually keep a bike 3 to 4
years.
Problem: Don't like 2 stroke smoke or tailpipe goo, Am hopelessly lazy with regards to maintenance, too cheap to service at the dealer, other than the special alloy seat KTM comes equiped with, the 300 has been totally trouble free and perfect for the riding I do. Would not dream of a 4 stroke without electric start, suz dr way to heavy, leaving KTM 400 the only real choice. Question: How reliable are the KTM 4 strokes? How time consuming and costly are the frequent oil changes? In four years will their be a market for a used 2 stroke? Wil I ever enjoy the the sound of a 4 stroke. Will I ever master spell check? Would I be better to keep my present bike and use the money for some sort of mental therapy? Will I ever grow up and quit riding dirt bikes before I am unable to walk? If you have lasted this long, you must be asking if I will ever shut. Sorry, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

ronmc

Jan 12, 2002
I have had mostly 2 strokes since 1977 I have a few friends that own ktm 520SX's they have had no problems.so far I also buy a new bike every 2 years since 99 I have owned a 99 300MXC (broke left & right ankle at Wellsville {sold) loved the bike but it was killing me. I bought a 00 380EXC I did not like the wide ratio trans. (sold) Just picked up 02 250SX in Nov.the lightest feeling KTM I have ridden and has lots of power. If we stop buying 2 strokes the only choice you will have in a few years is a 4 stroke. I think they both have there place In dirt riding and hope they are both around for a long time.my personal choice is 2 stroke less cost & maintenance As far as mental therapy you will have lots of time for that recooping from crashes in your old age. If your like me I will never grow up or stop riding dirt bikes I have had 3 operations sence Jan.9Th 2 abdominal 1 knee I hope to be riding in Wellsville in mid March the only thing stopping me now is my wife & figuring out how it load the bike in the truck using my crutches. No I don't think spell check was meant to be figured out. I guess I will shut up now I hope I was some sort of help. :D

Tin Man

Mar 2, 2001
Thanks for your reply, you definitely make me lean towars the 2 stroke by mentioning the less cost and less maintenance. Especially the maintenance.I just don't like to tinker and am very envious of those who check thier piston,change fork oil and tighten spokes after every ride, but that all seems like too much work. Make me feel like a piker though, have been very lucky injury wise, have only broken 2 thumbs since I have been riding. The age thing does get you though. Broken thumb 3 years ago took forever to heal. Wife gives me the same warnings about getting hurt again, but some things are just worth it. Tried golf, gave my best effort to get enthused but could never stop thinking how much more fun riding on those golf courses would be compared to swatting the little ball. Thanks again, I hope to get more feed back maybe I'll see you in Wellsville some time.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
the way I see it, after spending $7000 on a toy, they least you can do is give it the proper maintenance it deserves! There is nothing worse than seeing a clapped out/dirt bike. Back to the question at hand. I recently bought a 250 MXC and LOVE it, but those thumpers have me salivating... and KTM isnt the only choice with a e-start. Check out the latest issue of dirt bike for an 8 bike comparison of mid-size thumpers. KTM, TM, VOR, Vertemati, Husaberg, DRZ, XR, WR.

Tin Man

Mar 2, 2001
I apologize, I am guilty of exageration, the 98 I have now does have new chain, sprockets,tires, wheel bearings, brake pads,seat cover. and believe it or not, a clean air filter. I just don't want something that requires a lot of internal maintenance, pistons , valves, clutch, Electrical starter maintenance etc. SOme of those other bikes you mentioned are a bit pricey for a non-racer. Just curious, it sounds like you love the four stroke, why did you decide on the 250 2 stroke instead? Your reasoning might shead light on my indecision.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I could have gone either way, 2 or 4. When I was ready to buy, dealer still had a long list of people waiting for the 400 EXC, so I picked one of the 250's off the floor, and couldnt be happier.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
They all need maintenance. Same air filter maintenance, same gear box/clutch maintenance. Constantly messing with pre-mix or changing crankcase oil and filters. Top end or valve adjustments, both a pain.

As they said in Star Trek, "Tactile sensations can alter a human's perception of things". Go to the shop, put your hands on all the bikes you are considering. Which ever one makes your heart pound the hardest just by thinking about riding it, is the one to buy.

For me it's the 250EXC, if I only had the money.

Top Bottom