Woodbyrd

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
My KDX starts perfectly when it is cold, half a kick and I am ready to roll. But once it warms up get ready for a fight, atleast a dozen kicks and just a little gas. I have done the air box mod, FMF gnarly pipe with shorty silencer, and stock reeds. The jetting is 142 main with a 45 pilot and the needle in the next to top clip at about 500 feet above sea level. I have checked the compression and it is 2 PSI under the manufactures maxium specs. Does anyone have any ideas what this might be and how to correct it?

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Did this change with the weather?  How well did it start hot/cold in the summer? As noted in another thread, I've noticed I need to bring the airscrew in at least a full turn to get light-off in the winter. Perhaps you need to back your's out a bit after its warmed up.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Here's an anecdotal 'fix' for you.

My bike did the EXACT same thing. I'd kick myself SILLY trying to start my bike when it was hot. Ended up with a bent kicker (not uncommon anyway), torn up boots.....not to mention a bad disposition.

Solution?

Jetting of course! 1/8 to 1/4 in on the AS turned it into one kick and go!

Don't know if you've adjusted your AS to 'best response' or not. IF it's adjusted to 'high idle', it's likely too far out anyway. 'High idle' is a starting point.

re: '..little gas..' Try keeping your hand off the throttle altogether. Just a little change in that can make a HUGE difference.

Woodbyrd

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
23jayhawk & canyncarvr

After two hours I now have a better knowledge of the air screw and pilot jetting. It turned out I needed to lean the pilot one size to 38 and set the AS to just a little over 3/4 a turn out. The acceleration in the lower gears are noticeable improved and the bike starts hot or cold.

Thanks for the info!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom