NateZ

Feb 27, 2005
On my pipe on my yz, i only have one dent, it's 3 3/4'' inches in diameter, and about 3/4'' deep, mabye a smidge deeper (pretty much the whole way around. The dent is on the fattest part of the pipe. Is this dent big enough to cause a loss in power or anything?

Nate

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
I have no idea about the performance part, but I know a easy way to take it out. If you don't already know this, here you go. If you do maybe I will benefit some one else.

'First, cap the end that goes into the engine. Your gonna have to get creative here and make a perfect seal. Stick a compressor hose in the other end and get it so its in there good. Now turn on your compressor and keep it at about 75psi if you can. Now light up your torch. Heat up the dent until it forces it out. Wear protective clothing because hot molten steel doesn't make a good shower if some thing goes wrong. It should 'iron out' the dent. The pipe may even preform better due to increased expansion.

I got this out of a issue of DIRT BIKE and I'm not going to take credit for it. If its common knowledge on this board, sorry, lol.

NateZ

Feb 27, 2005
I was plannin on tryin somthing like that, but i am kinda lost as to how to make a good cap for the engine side of the pipe?!

Nate

Bullwinkle58

Apr 23, 2004
NateZ said:
I was plannin on tryin somthing like that, but i am kinda lost as to how to make a good cap for the engine side of the pipe?!

Nate

That's the dangerous part. If it's not capped very well, it will shoot off the end. Just send it in to a pipe repair place. Much easier, and much safer. Do a search online, or look in the back of a Dirt Rider magazine or something.

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
here is another fix that I have done on trials bike pipes (notorious for dents) is get a slide hammer and your torch drill a hole for the hammer and heat ithe dent up and pop it out, then braze the hole shut. It will not look like new, but its a cheap fix.

NateZ

Feb 27, 2005
Eh i'd really like to do it myself, it's just a stock pipe. Pipe repair wants 50 bux plus shipping, if it's gonna be that much i midas will just get one off **** when it pops up.

Nate

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I'm pretty sure, from reading this site alittle bit ago, that you only really feel/see performance loss if the dent is within 7 inches or so from the head. So on a 250, the fattest part is atleast 1.5-2 feet, so i think you should be good.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Glitch said:
I'm pretty sure, from reading this site alittle bit ago, that you only really feel/see performance loss if the dent is within 7 inches or so from the head. So on a 250, the fattest part is atleast 1.5-2 feet, so i think you should be good.

yes, a large shallow dent in the fat section of the pipe is not as bad as dent in the head pipe. I wouldn,t bother too tell you the truth

automotive body shops have a neat little tool now where you weld a small "nail" to the dent and a puller that can grab it.Pipe metal probably is a little to thick to that nicely though. Another option is to drill holes on the back side of the pipe from the dent and work it out with a punch then weld up the holes.
I am afraid of the seal and pump up method, if I can't fix it externally I will cut the pipe in half in the center of the dent. work the metal with a hammer and anvil, then weld it back together

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
jmics,

I pulled a dent in my stock pipe with one of those stud welders and a slide hammer.
It was fairly difficult, but I got it out. The pipe repair shops do a much nicer job.

ZeCatfish

Mar 25, 2005
One of the rags did a test on this same thing not long ago.
Seems that a speed dent like yours actually increased power and widened the power band. It wasn't an issue till you get serious dents in the header pipe. the first 6 to 8 inches that there was a true loss in power.
So I guess, to put it in a nut shell, If it doesn't feel slower, its not broke so don't fix it. Get a clamp on pipe guard and put over it to hide the dent and ride on.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom