rocktop15

May 7, 2002
I just bought some Scott bar grips for my bike and am wondering how I am suppose to get them on the bike. I thought about vaseline but would that dry??? Thanks.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
I don't see vaseline drying. I usually put some petrol in the grip then bang it on, although read the packaging because I imagine petrol could break down certain grips....

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
cheap hairspray works wonders. Gasoline would do the same but the hairspray seems to stick well. I'll never buy another tube of grip glue...

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Spray some of momma's hairspray inside the grip and on the bar end and then slide the grip on. After the hairspray dries use two to three loops of safety wire around each grip to keep them from rotating when wet.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I use windex and then an air hose to send air into the grip. Makes it a piece of cake to put on and the windex dries pretty quick. I wire tie a few around each one also.

FDR492

Jun 28, 2002
alright you all need to stop confusing the poor kid...
Hair spray, its a lubricant and adhesive in one.... just spray it on the inside of either grips and slide them on, should dry within an hour. :p

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
FDR have you ever thrown a grip while hitting a triple?

Not recommended. I just did a little home experiment. Sprayed hairspray on two fingers and then squeezed them together and tested how long it would take for them to come apart. Now try some super glue. Get the point. And use o-rings because it will make the seal last and keep dirt out from under the grip.

Will someone try this already? :uh:

FDR492

Jun 28, 2002
hmmm so we have a badly needed invention here... a superglue-like adhesive that will act as a lubricant for easy sliding (onto the bar)... also....has anyone ever come across an end cap for a dirtbike similar to that of a BMX bike? I thought about putting some on my bike but it would be sensless to only have them on one side (the side opposite the throttle)

Last edited:

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
My tip is contact cement (care of BigLou). You really have to hurry to get the grip on before it dries, but after about an hour, you'll have a hard time cutting the grips off. Works for me

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by FDR492
hmmm so we have a badly needed invention here... a superglue-like adhesive that will act as a lubricant for easy sliding (onto the bar)... also....has anyone ever come across an end cap for a dirtbike similar to that of a BMX bike? I thought about putting some on my bike but it would be sensless to only have them on one side (the side opposite the throttle)

FDR the trick is in squeezing the grip to create neg. pressure inside the grip and it will slide on easily. I put a teeny tiny bit of used motor oil to aviod instant sticking of the grip on the end of the bar.

FDR492

Jun 28, 2002
no dude i was talking about end plugs to prevent rips and tears of the grip and on the throttle side something that could wrap OVER the throttle tube to prevent crasking and breaking of the tube...sounds wonderful considering i go through throttle tubes like i go through underwear :silly:

Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by MXFastGuy
WD-40!

Yep - we use a little squirt of WD-40 too. Slap them on there and safety wire them. They'll be on for good. We also stick a nickel in the ends to keep from sticking a hole into the bar end on a crash.

We like wire versus glue for many reasons (1) we've had glue get hot or dirty or whatever and break down and grips slide off/twist in the past (2) most grips have safety wire grooves so you don't even notice the wire (3) wire will stay but isn't permanent - if you need to switch a grip quickly or reuse a grip you can - you don't need to cut them off.

FDR492

Jun 28, 2002
i've got the Works Connection aluminum throttle tube but it gets dinged up then gets caught up on the end of my bars and makes my thorttle stick...so at this point im thinkin the training wheels might be the better option ;)

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by FDR492
wonder what the guys at the track will think when i show up on sunday with some big training wheels on my bike :p

Probabvly..."About time that poser on the KX125 put some trailing wheels on cause he really REALLY sucks!" J/K! :confused:

Sorry to be the outsider but I use chain lube! Yes I said chain lube, Maxima Chain & cable wax that is. Alittle squirt on the bar end or throttle tube and the grips slides right on and dries in a hour tops. Kinda cool that you can also lube your throttle parts while your letting the grips drie!

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by Durt Cycler
Sorry to be the outsider but I use chain lube! Yes I said chain lube, Maxima Chain & cable wax that is. !

Someone finally found a good use for the stuff! :think:

If you don't clean your bike after you spray the wax on it dries so bad and is near impossible to remove.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Heck ya endosports, this stuff does like to stick to everything, all I do is spray it down with some engine degreaser, mostly on the swingarm and rear sprocket and it will remove almost 80% of it on the first coat of deagreaser. You also need a high pressure washer to get this stuff off!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom