How do you adjust the needle clip

evworld

Jun 22, 2002
I am new to this carb tuning stuff. I have a 2001 CR125 Here is a link to parts on my carb. http://www.sudco.com/Diagrams323728/exptm.gif

From 1/4 to 1/2 throttle its crackling. I think the clip needs to be moved.

Could someone please go through the steps using the numbers from the picture on the link to guide me.

I guess you have to start somewhere trying to learn this stuff.

Thanks

SirReel

Aug 23, 2001
but, I haven't tried to fix it yet. But, from what I have read about the needle clip, I think all you do is change the slot the clip is in on the needle (#5 and #6 in your pic). either move it up or down a notch or 2, not sure what up or down does, thus my problem is still there :confused: . Seems simple enough, but I have heard too many carb horror stories for me to do it on my own, at least right now...

evworld

Jun 22, 2002
Thanks,

I need to go right at the begining. What parts do you have to take off to get to the needle, do you need to take the whole carb off the bike, etc.

I know this is pretty stupid, but what can I say.

Thanks

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
Using a pliers pull #5(the clip) off the #6(the needle) and put it in the next position UP, so you are moving the clip up one position to go leaner. You'll want to read the jetting guide at http://www.ericgorr.com/techarticles/carbtuning.html so you can recognise a lean condition because crackling could mean you are burning radiator fluid, not just the bike is rich...
To try and get a better grasp of what rich and lean feel like you should move the clip to each extreme and try riding the bike and seeing what it feels like. For the clip specifically you need to ride across a field in 2nd gear at about 1/4 throttle, then crack the throttle open. If it bogs(boooowaaahhhHHHH) then you are lean on the clip, if it revs smoothly but slowly with a lack of power then it is probably rich, you need to find somewhere in between these two extremes.
Because lean is much easier to recognise then rich most people keep going leaner on each carb circuit until a lean condition occurs, then go back one step.

Hope that helps some,
Philip

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
Just saw your reply....
I'm not sure about the 01 because mine is a 00 but you should be able to loosen the two clamps that hold the carb in place and rotate the top of the carb towards you, then take the top of the carb(#34?) off, then pull out the throttle slide(#7). Then there is some trickery to getting the cable out of the slide and then unscrew the thing(#4) that is holding the needle in place...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom