How do you remove the kickstart on a rm125?

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Hi, the kickstart on my 1994 suzuki rm125 is too far foreward, i am unable to remove the kickstart in order to move it further back as it is hitting off of the clutch arm, i can remove the screw at the front holding it in place, but the kickstart will not come off the shaft, i have left it soaking in wd40 and gently heated it, but no joy.
Perhaps i am doing it wrong, my clymer manual does not tell me how, anyone care to go through it step by step for me?
Thanks all!

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
can you remove it from the pivot point where it connects to the shaft? like the kicker would come off and the little part that goes around the shaft would still be there.

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
You need to fully remove the pinch bolt.. and place a thin tapered flat blade screwdriver between the two ends and spread them a tad to get it off. ;)

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Yes you can remove the kicker! I then try to pry the round kickerholder from the shaft, pulling, heating and tapping with a driver behind it do not work! Is there a screw on that shaft theres onlt the bolt in the middle on mine? Any ideas?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I just removed the KS off my son's '94 RM. I had to use a gear puller to get it off because when I put thread lock on the bolt it ran into the spline and bonded it in place. When you use the puller you'll need to put a longer bolt back in the hole so the center shaft of the puller has something to push against. There's plenty of room behind the knuckle to pull it right off. I wouldn't use heat because you might melt the seal (they're not hard to replace but...)

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
just tried that, with no luck, it just moved the kickstart shaft seal right out the crankcase. Any other ideas?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by blanc
just tried that, with no luck, it just moved the kickstart shaft seal right out the crankcase. Any other ideas?
:think: It sounds like you might be using the puller wrong. If the jaws are on the back side of the knuckle and the center shaft it on the kickstarter shaft, the seal shouldn't move.

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
That bolt in the middle of the " kickerholder " did you take it out completely? Cause the shaft has a relieve milled into it that the bolt rests in. Simply loosening the bolt will not be enough.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I have had good luck using a battery cable puller. Auto Zone has them for under 5.00 as I remember. The size is perfect for the kickstarters.

Top Bottom