How do you tie down your kdx in your truck??

Frontside720

Aug 12, 2004
I'm picking up my bike tomorrow and I was wonder where do you put your hooks on the kdx? I'm sure it may be pretty simple once I have the bike in front of me but any tips will help.

Thanks

Frontside720

Aug 12, 2004
I don't think I understood you or maybe I did.

Your not saying you use only 2 tie downs to hold the entire bike in place?

I wanted to know what you strap the hooks too in the back. 2 front and 2 back tie downs. Total of 4.

hockeyboy

Oct 13, 2003
He is saying that you only tie your bike down from the front.Usually a pick-up truck has some sort of tie downs at the front of the bed down near the floor, a cleat or an eye bolt. Push your bike far foward in the truck untill your front tire hits the end of the bed. Connect your tie down straps from the cleat to the handle bars. Tighten the staps evenly. Once you compress the front forks about 4 inches the bike should be very secure. Dont over tighten the straps. If you compress the forks too much you could blow a fork seal or damage your fork springs.About 4 to 5 inches should do it. Good Luck.

est142

Dec 30, 2003
dkirk has some nice ss strap rings(2) for $10 that bolt under the triple clamp bolts, and give you a permanent eyelet to hook the straps too... cuts down on scraped bars. i also run one strap right over the top of the rear tire, but i load onto a low sided trailer...not sure if you could do that in a pickup.

Frontside720

Aug 12, 2004
WOW I can't believe it... 2 straps and thats it???

Worked great for me. 2 hours from the dealership to my house and it didn't move an inch!!

Thanks for the tip's!!!

weber.s

Mar 26, 2003
Be carefull not to pull your tie downs to tight, if they are to tight you run the risk of popping your fork seals. The further apart your hooks are spread on your pick up the better, in other words try put your bike in the center of the load bed. It is also a good idear to place a block of wood between the top of your front wheel and the bottom of your front fender, this will let you pull your tie downs tight without damaging your fork seals.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
It looks to me from your pics that the KDX survived the trip.... its so shinny yet. :joke: Some sort of wheel chock helps to stop the bike from bending the bed and also keeps the front wheel from slipping. When I haul just one bike I put the wheel in the corner and the kick stand down and facing front. But this is because I’m too cheap to buy a wheel chock :coocoo: Have fun.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
We cut out about an 8" piece of 1x4 with a "U" in one end to help with compression up front. Fits over the tire nicely, and you can crank it down tight without compressing the forks more than 4" or so. And yes, two tie downs is all we use as well. Haven't lost one yet!

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I always just use 2 tie downs from the handlebars. The only trouble I'v ever had is that the wind has actually blown the back end around on the highway, but that is on a flat bed trailer.

I had a couple of questions concerning pick ups too maybe someone could answer. I plan on getting a Ranger next year, supercab, so it won't have the longer bed. Will a dirt bike fit and still be able to close the gate? If not does it harm the gate to drive for long periods with it down? I saw an ad for a ramp which turns into an extender to block off the back of the bed when the gate is down. Does anyone have one of those? :think:

Frontside720

Aug 12, 2004
My truck has a short box. I can't close the tailgate. I lifted the back tire and moved the ass end of the bike in the corner and it just didn't fit. I think if I were to tie down my bike horizontally or a little more to one side, it will fit fine.

When I have the bike in the back I will be driving on the highway to hit some trails so I just keep my tailgate down. Saves gas and as long as your not offroading it doesn't do any damage.

Here's a pic...

Attachments

• Truck 1.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Truck Front.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 92

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
A little input from 40 years of hauling dirt bikes. If you are hauling on a rail trailer, especially if it has little or no springing, then tie the rear tire in the rail (as well as of course the handlebars). Don't ask me how I know this. I carry my KDX all time in a pick up with a 6' bed. Either leave the tailgate down or put the bike in a corner, angled in the bed, and you can close the tailgate. I prefer this arrangement and suggest that if you do this, then triangulate the handlebars by using a third tie down attached to the open rear ring.

The nicest thing I have discovered recently is the tie down "figure 8 loops" made of nylon webbing. You just loop these around your handlebars and hook the tiedowns into the loop. Street bikers use them for transport all time. Does not bung up your tiedowns on the triple clamps nor skin up your handlebars. Sometimes enduro riders with their equipment do not have room to hook the tie down in the handle bars anyway!

Just load up and go ride! John

Frontside720

Aug 12, 2004
Thank's for the info John.

I do have those loops. I use them for my street bike. You can get them at any motorcycle shop for about $10.

hog

Nov 13, 2001
OK, In my Titan with the gate closed I tie it down as follows.
The titan has hooks down low one in each corner of the bed.
- Bike in front wheel first left front corner of the bed, Rear wheel in the right rear corner.
- Block of wood in between the front wheel and fender to keep forks from compressing.
- Left side handlebar to left rear corner of bed
- right side handelbar to right front corner of bed
- left rear of bike to left rear of bed
- right rear of bike to right front of bed.
- left front coner of bed to the loop on the frame done by the shifter. This one is important.

Yea, that five straps. But try it. Its very solid in the bed.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…