How good is factory silencer ?

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
After reading up and asking a few people I decided to open up the factory header on my 06 KDX 200 with the intention to remove all the air restricting baffling or whatever is suppose to be in there . To my supprise all I found was a thin perforated second layer of metal with baffling but only about a millimeter thick covering about a third of the header . :( Which looking at that I cannot see that removing that is going to make any significant change in power . :|
I have decided to go for a fmf or pro circuit pipe .

I would like to know what would happen power wise if leaving the factory silencer on and only changing the header . :think:

I know doing the whole system would be better but these systems are very expensive here .

NSPHIL

Nov 14, 2005
I switched from the factory silencer to the FMF Turnine Core II, there was hardly any difference if any at all in power. The Expansion Pipe (FMF Rev) sure made a difference though.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Changing the silencer will make it louder but will not gain much power. The after market pipes will liven it up a lot. That being said as long as you have the stock pipe apart give the free mod a try. I bet you'll be impressed with how much that thin layer of baffling restricts the power.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
The biggest reason to change to a new silencer is WEIGHT. That stock pig is heavy, and you can save a few pounds by going aftermarket (which is a huge savings on a bike, as 4 stroke guys scramble to save 1/2 of a pound).

grahams

Sep 26, 2001
adam728 said:
The biggest reason to change to a new silencer is WEIGHT. That stock pig is heavy, and you can save a few pounds by going aftermarket (which is a huge savings on a bike, as 4 stroke guys scramble to save 1/2 of a pound).

Yeah, I had the same dilema when I modded my 220 last month. The weight is something you WILL notice. Especially since is sits fo far back and affects the rear suspension action. I went with the FMF Gnarly Desert and the Power Core II. WOW! Minus the airbox lid and with proper jetting I estimate a 30% increase on top end power. But my bike was running horribly rich before that.

robl

Feb 24, 2004
The expansion pipe is what makes your performance improvement for sure.

I have a TCII silencer, but currently use the stock silencer.

Honestly, you won't really notice a change as far as power goes. Sure the stocker is heaveir and lots of guys talk about the weight difference effecting bike handling, but I'm a tad skeptical on that one. I'll have to switch back to the turbine core and compare them.

The reason I use the stock silencer is because of how quiet they are. If you don't already have an aftermarket pipe and you still want one, go for the "Q"! You get the weight reduction, good looks, and a quiet pipe!!

Have fun!

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
I decided to go the full system with Pro Circuit and ordered it yesterday , I will be collecting today . I should have maybe waited for your replies as I could have saved quite a bit of money . The bike shops here all recommended the full system as they say the aftermarket silencers are free flow and not as restictive as the original .

We dont have the choices here as you guys have , The ony pipes available for the kdx are the fmf desert pipe and powercore 2 silencer, or the pro circuit platinum with the 304 silencer.

Have any of you guys tested the fmf against the pro circuit ?

grahams

Sep 26, 2001
KDX CRAZY said:
The ony pipes available for the kdx are the fmf desert pipe and powercore 2 silencer, or the pro circuit platinum with the 304 silencer.

The FMF Gnarly Woods is also available here. The Pro-circuit pipe is great, it has the same characteristics as the FMF Desert - i.e. more top-end power. But with a set of reeds you will still have plenty bottom end on your 200

grump99

Aug 7, 2003
Just my 2 cents. I have an FMF torque pipe and stock silencer on my 200. My next step is going to be the rb carb mod. Much more bang for the buck according to what I have read on these forums. I like the quietness of the stock silencer.

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
Collected the Pro Circuit system Friday and fitted it on Saturday , I could not test much but the bit I rode up and down the street , there is definitly more power in the mid and high range with a noticible hit which it never had stock . The front wheel is much lighter through the gears , lifts in first 3 gears under accelaration . ;) Also louder than stock and sounds awesome in the high revs . :)
Will test against my buddies this weekend .

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
Stay in Boksburg and ride mainly in Pomona / kempton area .
There is a few of us that get together most weekends normally Sunday mornings , last ride we had 6 kdx's ranging from 1980 to 2006 a CR 250 , YZ 450 and KTM 250 .

We are planing to go again this Sunday .

You are welcome to join us , the more KDX's the better .

grahams

Sep 26, 2001
KDX CRAZY said:
Stay in Boksburg and ride mainly in Pomona / kempton area .
There is a few of us that get together most weekends normally Sunday mornings , last ride we had 6 kdx's ranging from 1980 to 2006 a CR 250 , YZ 450 and KTM 250 .

We are planing to go again this Sunday .

You are welcome to join us , the more KDX's the better .

Thanx. I'll take you up on that. I'm getting married next month so the bike is taking a back burner for a while - best I not break an arm or a leg before a 3 week honeymoon to the US :yikes:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
grahams said:
Thanx. I'll take you up on that. I'm getting married next month so the bike is taking a back burner for a while - best I not break an arm or a leg before a 3 week honeymoon to the US :yikes:

Congrats on the marriage :cool:

grahams

Sep 26, 2001
KDX CRAZY said:
Congrats

Hope the wife to be likes bikes ? or gives you the time to ride .

Cheers

Thanks. Yeah, no worries from the wife to be). She understands my need to ride. I just don't wanna arrive at the church with a cast on my arm or leg. Then her sense of humour might fail

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom