how long before new bottom end?

stan67

Dec 29, 2006
hey guys,been reading this site about a year and finally joined 2 days ago.i have a kdx 220 04 stock and after looking at this awsum site know the top end will last me about 3000 miles as 95% of my riding is road use here in the uk.but how long does bottom end,bigends, main bearings ect last?i use castrol tts 40:1.oh yer bike goes awsum on and off road,was amazed how easy it wheelies in 2nd and 3rd,allways puts a big grin on my face.1 more question,slow speeds,1/4 throttle cruzin, bike seems to chugger but soon as i open throttle it goes,is this just the way they are?i have had bike 3 months and love it.

crhines

Aug 27, 2006
If it's jetted correctly, acceleration should be smooth from bottom to top, but you will notice a "hit" in the upper RPM's - that's the way 2-strokes are. If it gurgles or studders at any point in the range, then your carburation needs to be adjusted.

stan67

Dec 29, 2006
acceleration is smooth from bottom to top,no splutters,just chuggers when cruzin on low easy street trafic riding,can even hear chain jumping because of it.i very gently throttle on and off to counter this chugging.thinking maybe air screw needs ajusting,how many turns out shud it be?im at sea level.besides this bike goes the bollacks.thanks

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I used to dual sport my KDX a lot, I noticed the exact same thing on the road, both when stock and after tons of mods and carb work. I believe it's just the nature of a 2 stroke single on pavement.

How long any part of a bike will last depends on far too many factors to just give a straight answer like "3000 miles". With the mild state of tune the KDX is in I don't think you'll need to worry about the lower end for a long, long time. Mine is on 4 top ends and probably 500-600 hours. Last time it was apart the low end looked fine.

stan67

Dec 29, 2006
ok thanx,its not really a problem anyway was just wondering.set my rider sag last night ready for saturdays muddy mountain session 100mm.bit of luck bike will handle even better,it was 85mm sag.thanx again m8.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom