How long do front tires last---compared w/rears

xr400forever

Jan 6, 2002
I was hoping to recieve some input on how often you change front tires as compared with rear tires. Do fronts last twice as long? Three times?

I know when to change rears but have a hard time telling when a front is gone.

Thanks all!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Every third or fourth rear we change the front. Probably more often four. The knobs will wear, just harder to tell. Sliding out with the front is another sign that it's time to be changed. As would be cracking of the tire near the rim.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Good Point Nikki, with my experiance it has been 4:1, four rears to one front. When you get to this ratio replace with the same front and rear, no-brainer I know but I have known riders to ride two differen't brands up and back. If your rear wears try to keep it the same as your front. The reason beeing that it will "Track" better. By changing the pattern and composition it can change the way one performs from the other.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
4-to-1 is about right. Hate to say it...but it kinda 'depends' on how they're ridden.

Spend a lot of time spinning on roots and such? The number goes up (more rears).

When the front is getting round..losing it's sharp edged knobs, it's time to change it.

The harder you ride, the more it matters. Of course, the better you are, the less it matters. 95% rider-- 5% machine and all that.....

xr400forever

Jan 6, 2002
I suppose it would be pertinent to inquire at what point you change your rear tires, just so I am getting a proper reference point. I like my Dunlop 739 AT rears (for the rocky mountain roads and trails I ride) and often take a tire regroover to them to restore the sharp edges once the knob height is down to 70% or so. These tires are really tough so perhaps I would need to change fronts every 2 or 3 rears since I may be going through less rears than the average guy.

PS. (unrelated, irrelavent note:I have an H12 rear on right now, really bad wear, the 739At's last 3x longer)

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The D739's have a wear guide between the center blocks. If the groove is gone, replace the tire.

Gary

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I usually replace the front for every 3 rears. The knobs usually still look OK, but the new one always works better. A fresh front tire is a major performance enhancer, IMO.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…