Aug 1, 2004
What is the average life span of reeds? Got a new carb coming this week and thought I should inspect the reeds to see if there's any visual evidence they are toast (purchased bike used). Looking at them I can't tell if they're factory, aftermarket or what.. The bike's mid and upper range runs great but I'm trying to bring it back to factory spec. and reduce the hit.

I thought about ordering the Boyesen "Super Stock" fiber or carbon reeds (close to factory) rather than their "Pro Series" claiming hard hit. Yep, another 4-stroke lame-o fishing for good advise before buying the wrong thing.

Jul 22, 2004
how can you tell when u need new reeds?

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Mostly by the tension of the reeds. If they seal all the ways down and are not missing any chunks then they most likely are okay. Do your reeds have a large brass duck bill on both sides? Or a thin brass strip at the top? If there is a duck bill reed stop then they are the stock reeds. A thin strip comes with most aftermarket reeds. Don't get the Super Stock Reeds, they are well like stock! The Boyosen #607 Torque Reeds are great for low end performance. The Pro Series all work very well.

-Maurice

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I found that when it was time for a top end on my 88 the reeds were also worn past service limits. On my 88 if you can see light between the reed and the cage they are shot.

Top Bottom