How many winter projects are going on/finished?

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
I was just wondering how many people have winter projects going on or have completed a winter project? Currently i am waiting for plastics, graphics, tires, chain, and sprockets and some other misc. things. I have spent over $500..yeeeesh. But anyways i would like to know what you guys spent and what you did..Also if you can get some pics up that would be great thx.. Sorry for all of the Q's...
Marc

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
i bought a bike, didn't do much to it yet except an fmf pipe and tag bars so far.....but more is on the way.:aj:

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I`m just about done putting my bike back together after I had it powder coated. It`s still a work in progress I ran out of money before I ran out of project. I still need to get new plastic ,seat cover and graphics.A pipe and big bore kit was also on that list as well. Oh well next winter that`s if I`m able to get the stuff to lower my pickup first or was that put a new engine in my Blazer. Man I need a bigger expense account.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Complete rebuild, new top end, everything is finished as of this past weekend. Now for some quality seat time:eek:

Now if I can stop re-checking every bolt, keep thinking I missed something.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Frame just got blasted, should be powdercoated this week. Got a guy that just did a really nice Harley, had some black, almost chrome like paint leftover, only charging me $125CDN for the blast/prep/powdercoat, not to bad a deal. Ordered some new stuff, including a aluminum throttle perch, Dunlop D739 rear, new Sunstar sprockets, IDI O-ring chain, Tag T2 bars, Barnett Clutch kit (Ebay), Gold Excel rim (Ebay), Got a bid on a set of Pro Taper Bar mounts which will take the oversized T2 bars (Ebay), some new plastic, and some custom made sidepanel vinyl, :) Ebay's been such a money saver, it blows my mind. Hopefully will have the bike back together in about a week or 2. Still need a 19x2.15 inch Gold Excel rear rim, but I'll hopefully find it somewhere...

Last edited:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
no time for winter projects. it was 72 degrees here yesterday. we went racing.:)

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Completed my project CR144. Bike was a total basket case when I got it. After I threw in new transmission gears, clutch center hub, shift drum, crank, the CR144 kit from EG and various other pieces it's functional again. Painted the frame up nicely too, graphics are badly needed. You think $500 in stuff is bad I've got $1200 in my motor alone :eek: I'm way over budget on this project. Now the GasGas is needing fork seals and suspension linkage bearings, it never ends I tell ya :mad:

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
On my son's 99yz80, Drag into basement, took off top end and sent to Eric Gorr for some head work. (more better low end power) Top end is back together now. Also changed oil, antifreeze, lubbed cables, greased swing arm, changed fork oil, remove and clean inside of air box, repack muffler, new grips. Clean everything with toothbrush while all plastic is off.
I find this helps pass the time while the snow flies.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
oops one more thing..smb how do you like the 144 kit? Im thinking of it myself for next year. thx

Dirteater

Jan 24, 2001
Well, I know this isn't really right, but I'm now planing for my summer project. In june the temps are unbarable till about Oct, so I'm looking at a new top end with Eric's porting magic, new springs if I can hold off from buying new ones till then, and a new pipe with the same conditions as the last. Of course I'm also going to do a complete dissambly and lube since I haven't done that in one year now. I really hope this works out. It is hard to stay off the bike even when it's 115 out.
I do promise pics when this all happens.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
the 144 kit really gives the bike some pep, if you've ever heard anyone call the 144 a mini 250 they're right on. It impressed my cousin and he's right about 200 pounds, he could throttle wheelie in 4th on it.

I opted for the mo' better everywhere porting and had him do the cylinder for hi-test pump gas. 92 octane and Super M at 40:1 and the bike runs great. Have yet to see how it performs with the new tranny gears though, first gear was completely junked from the stupid kid that had it before me.

Dinohunter

May 12, 2001
I am getting close to finishing my winter project. Its a 99CR250R So far I have spent approx $600.00. I replaced the Piston,Rings,Top end gaskets, Swingarm bearings, Spokes(rear), Plastics, Fork seals, chain guide, chain slider. I am still waiting on tubes, tires, graphics. I can't wait to ride it, I only rode it for about 10mins after I bought it so I really gotta get some seat time on this beast but it is still to cold here in Alaska. :p

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Yes biglou unfortunately i did miss your hurricane project..I did see pics but not the info on it..Sorry

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I finnished about a month ago: KIPS cleaning, new top end, new tires (Michelin), new chain/sprokets, brake pads, swingarm/linkage and stem bearing cleaning and re packing, and I totally just cleaned the whole bike spotless. I spent around $600.00
Money well spent! ;)

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Big lou congrats and also congrats to thunder33 excellent job. Beautiful..How was it only $600.00. If that is true that is absolutely amazing!!!! I will try to take pics of my bike when it is all finished..Should give your bike a run for the money..lol

Jh85

May 17, 2001
XR 250 In progress

Or should I say nightmare in progress:scream:

It's a 1990 XR 250 with all sorts of aftermarket goodies on it. The previous owner had it sent out to XR's Only and spent mucho dinero on the bike. Then it broke, and I bought it. It turned out to be a broken countershaft. After replacing that I saw that the cam should be replaced. I spent about $500 on random stuff, $180 on the cam and $100 on the countershaft.

Stuff that the Other owner put on it:
  • Mikuni 34mm flatside carb
  • JE 10.5:1 78mm piston
  • New crank
  • Shock revalve/rebuild
  • New plastics
  • New headlight
  • 4:1 clutch thingy
  • XR's Only Cam
  • R&D Valve Spring Kit
  • Fork rebuild/revalve
  • New PINK! (UGH) shock spring
  • Renthal Aluminum Sprockets
  • New Chain
  • And tons of other stuff I forgot
Stuff I bought:
  • Renthal CR high bend bars
  • Cycra Hand guards
  • All New Cables
  • New Kickstarter Spring
  • New Replacement Cam
  • Welded up the case (It didn't need it- I'm just picky)
  • New Oil Filter
  • New Air Filter
  • and even more!

I'm still waiting for the elusive cam from XR's Only......After that I'll be all done

Next Year I'm thinking of powdercoating the frame and maybe *gasp* grafting some CR forks to the front of it.

Before/During Pic:
http://www.dirtrider.net/cgi-bin/photopost/index.pl?photo=816

After pics:
.....on their way

O ya whats the matter with me
I forgot to use one of these:aj:
There now I'm done:confused:

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Replacing chain,sprockets,reeds,odo cable,rear wheel spacers,bearings,lubing all swingarm & linkage components and changing main jet. Haven't got very far, just made a mess of the garage.:ugg:

Attachments

• swng22.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 129

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
JH85 did you even ride the bike then yet or no? that bike must run a lot better than stock with all those goodies!!!

Freemont guy, that is pretty much what i am doing to my bike also i am just waiting for the plastic, graphics, and some other misc. parts that i need. I cant wait!!!

B

biglou

Marc-I have access to a lot of equipment here at work and some skilled folks to do the things that I'm no good at. There were no labor costs involved. Just parts.:)

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Just finished. All my bikes are ready to rock! basically just took everything apart, cleaned and greased. A new set of swingarm bearings on the kids 80, and a new rear tire for the KTM. :aj:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…