How often does one change synthetic motor oil?

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I Ride about 4 hrs every other weekend on mountain trails in South Carolina. How often should I change my synthetic motor oil? I'm sure its not like an automobile were one changes every 3000 miles. Is there a similar rule of thumb for a off-road motorcycle?

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Not sure how often it "needs to be changed" but the manual suggests way to long of intervals. Most people I know change it about every 100-150 miles or a couple of rides. It takes less than a quart and is easy to do so why not? Most people just use plain motor oil and change it often rather than expensive synthetic.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Rule of thumb: Often

KdxChode has it right..it's easy and why not.

A BTW. DO use a whole quart. After draining the existing oil, dump 100ml or so of the new quart in (still unplugged) to kinda help flush out the crud that's still sitting in the bottom of the case, then after putting the plug back in, dump in the remaining 846 (or so;) ).

KDXs run a bit more quiet with more than the listed 700ml. Makes it easier to use the whole thing.

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I thought synthetics didn't break down nearly as easy under extreme heat and conditions as compared to normal oil. How about synthetic mix?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by mlhend1
I thought synthetics didn't break down nearly as easy under extreme heat and conditions as compared to normal oil. How about synthetic mix?

It's not about oil breakdown, it's about changing it to get rid of the particles and contaminants that every oil (synthetic or not) accumulates and holds in suspension. The KDX engine is not stressed enough that oil breakdown is going to be a factor, given a reasonably sane change interval.

rvguy

May 31, 2002
Do KDX's use motor oil? I hope we are talking about transmission oil.
The way I see it, the more you change it the longer it lasts! And it's not a big expense. I change my tranny oil once a month. (10 hours)

Top Bottom