How reliable and durable are KDX's

xr400forever

Jan 6, 2002
Hi Guys,
Hope you can help me. I am an Xr400 looking to buy a buddy bike and found a good deal on a 2000 KDX 220. Just wondering how these bikes are in terms of :cost of parts, durability, reliability, aftermarket parts availabilty. Any comparisins with XR 400's would put things in perspective for me. Thanks all!

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I owned a KDX 200 for 8 years and it was as reliable as a rock! It took me anywhere I wanted to go, and never let me down. It got great gas mileage, I often did 50 - 60 mile trail rides and never once used reserve. Cost of parts was comparable to any other part for a japanese bike. I had a '94, and while there were some companies that offered aftermarket parts, it wasnt as good as for the '95 and newer models. If you are looking for a trail bike with some pep in the motor, you cant go wrong with the KDX. My word of advice, before you spend a penny on engine hop up parts, have the suspension sprung for your weight, and valved for the type of riding you plan on doing.

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
Like woods-rider (and chevy!) say, it's like a rock. I have had my KDX for 4 years, I don't think the guy before us did the top end at all (maybe once) and it runs really good. Still has excellent compression, starts right up, and doesn't smoke much. Mine has a serious lack of bottom end, but that is because I'm too lazy to clean out the powervalve. The gears are probly stripped too, but meh... :confused:
The only problem I am having now is getting the damn swingarm bearing out and new ones in! Jeez, they are really in there. I might just have to bring it to a shop. :whiner:
Other than tthat though, truly a great bike (especially since I got mine for free!) :)

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
bullet proof! just make sure the power valve is working. and all you worry about is basic maintenance. respringing is money well spent on almost any bike.

MDA

May 27, 2002
I recently chose the KDX as my first dirt bike. It is a versatile and fun bike. A friend of mine has had one for 10 years and he rides it hard (and I mean hard). No problems so far. They appear to be bullet proof.

As long as the bike was well maintained the biggest problem you may have is that once get a taste of that KDX, you may not want to ride your XR anymore.

Have fun,
-Mark-

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I have had 4 KDX bikes over almost 20 years and have never had to do a top end yet. Minimal maintenance and lots of fun. You will read about lots of hop ups and modifications in these columns, but other than jetting, you do not have to do anything, but kick and go.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
More anecdotal input.....
Excepting this fire season (everything in the state shut down), we ride most every weekend. Thousands of miles on two of 'em (200s), and they never fail to do anything but run.

Things like 'stuck swingarm bearings' wouldn't happen if they were serviced as they should have been by the original owner. That's not a bike failure, it's an owner failure.

Great bike!

You COULD own an orange bike. They break their own kickstand just sitting there....and it's about $35 for the bolt to fix it! (heh heh...jab on the orange guy! ;) )

jc

Sep 22, 2001
I HAVE HAD TWO KDXs. 95 & 96. NEVER HAD TO TOUCH THEM. RAN GOOD GAS AND GOOD OIL THRU THEM AND NEVER HAD A PROB. W/POWER VALVE. I HAD HEARD FROM TESTS THEY CAN GO 4-5000 MILES W/OUT A TOP END OVERHAUL. MY EXPERIENCE AGREES!!!!!

durtybob

Aug 12, 2002
i got my 95 kdx 200 from a guy at work it was sitting in the rain all winter and the guy that had it rode it like a crazy woman going to take a piss!! so far Ive done swing arm bearings and front wheel bearings and did the top end (just for my own peice of mind, because it was running great) kdx kick ass

KDXer

Oct 28, 1999
I do not ride a KDX anymore, got a DRZ400 lately, but I owned 3 KDX'es over the last 8 years. 89, 98 and 99 models. No problems ever, just basic maintenance. This should serve as convincing statistics if you are still not sure.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001

Oh CC, you naughty boy! :)
I agree with previous owner maint. Thats why I kept an Excel spread sheet on my bike to give the new owner to show them what has been done, how often, etc. Who over gets my bike will get a well serviced bike, which I can prove and show reciepts for. If you can get this with your used bike pourchase that will help.

xr400forever

Jan 6, 2002
Thanks for all the input guys. You are a convincing bunch, I went out and bought it yesterday. Now to figure out the jetting....it runs gargly between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle. I hope mine will be as durable as all yours have been. How often should I check the power valve for carbon build-up? Can't wait to take it out for a real ride!

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I would be worried about Swingarm and Steering head bearings. I have replaced both cause the factory didnt put much grease on these bearings. The shock upper and lower bearings just wore out even though I did service them but the steering head bearings could have been prevented (that was the only bearing I didnt service when I first got my bike) The rear wheel bearings went also. Lube em up and dont worry about them for a while

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…