How should it ride?

goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
My 95 KDX is the first dirt bike I have ever ridden until last week when I rode my friends KTM. Wow what a difference. After riding my friends bike I feel that there is a good chance I am not getting all I should out of my KDX because of what I think is poor jetting. When I bought the bike it was only ridden a few times and everything was stock and still is stock. Here is the description of why I think my bike may be jetted incorrectly. From the day I bought it the front wheel never lifted off the ground when I crack the throttle. It should right? In 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear it dies out quickly and just makes a gurgle sound rather than an on the pipe sound. In 4th gear on up everything seems to be fine. KIPS valves are fine (serviced about a month ago). Also it seems to run better the hotter the outside temp is. Which I quess indicates it might be running on the lean side. Can someone describe how much wheel lift or torque a correctly jetted KDX should produce and also suggest where I should start with my jetting adjustment. How does a bike run if it is jetted lean or if it is jetted rich? Thanks in advance! This forum has been a great help!

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
To start with, can you tell us what main & pilot jet you have in there now? And do you still have the stock needle? Which position?

After that, I will defer to the experts on this forum. You will find an ocean of jetting experience here. Might want to start by reading the thread that is locked at the top of this page (RB Carbs etc. etc.).

MassKDX

Dec 11, 2001
You should buy the proper jets, get some power reeds, and purchase a new PC Pipe for your bike and you will not be disappointed.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Stock 200 carb is
160 main
48 pilot
1174 needle in position #3

First verify yur jetting is really stock then try <JustKDX> for jetting help.

A bike running lean will bog when the throttle is flung open and make a bwaaah sound.

A bike running rich will gurgle, sputter and have a mellow power band.

Step 1...check plug with WOT plug chop.

Brian2

Aug 2, 2001
I'll verify MAC's settings. He suggested them to me last year, and I couldn't be happier. REALLY, toss the airbox lid.

goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
Thanks for the previous posts. I tried tonight to ride with the choke on and it only made the bike run worse. So I suspect that my bike is jetted to rich and the way it runs in the low gears is consistent with Mac description of how a bike will run if it is jetted rich. I will check to make sure the main jet is in fact stock (should be) and while I am in there if I move the clip position up one or two will this make any noticeable difference? Thanks again

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
hope this helps,slow dn...one thing at a time .see what u have,plug chk,make ur adjustments....one at a time.most stock carbs tend to b rich jmo . move the clip one spot if u need then another,don't jump around moving it up leans the mid circuit.take ur time and did i say ....make changes ....one at a time or u will not know what's goin on. the kdx is a great bike ....tuned right it has enough nut to scare u from time to time :) good luck

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'How should it ride'
is how this started, with comparison to a katoom.

Keep reality in focus. Don't know what kinda pumpkin you're referring to, but...for example...if you expect your kdx to keep up with a 200exc, good luck! Ain't gonna happen, even with jetting right and most 'bolt on' mods done. My '00 200 runs like the proverbial bat-outta-hades, and my riding buddy's ktm will leave me behind.

Other riders on this forum have better luck dusting ktms with EG's 225 kit, but that's not quite a 'bolt-on' deal. Well...I guess it exactly IS that, 'eh ;). OK..not cheap, then!!

If your bike is stock, then you have miles and miles of smiles to go!! I can't count the number of times I thought, 'Wow! It's never run THIS good,' after a modification. Then the next mod comes up, and it's the same thing!! WoW!

There's a bunch of potential in the kdx. The number one, bestest thing you will ever do for it (and for yourself) is learn to jet!! It may seem a daunting task at the beginning. Heck..read through the archived post on RB carbs with a lot of input from JD, and your eyes will be swimming for sure. PAGES of excellent stuff!!

But, pretty soon you'll get a 'feel' for what is, and what should be. You will come to KNOW what's up, why it's up and how to fix it or make it better.

As far as making a difference, I can change the attitude of my bike from weenie-lugging-trying to next-gear-up, happy and screaming with an air screw adjustment in the range of 1/8 turn or less!

My point is to encourage you to keep after the jetting! Don't quit until you get the method right!

You'll be a MUCH happier rider!!

as gooby said:
tuned right it has enough nut to scare u from time to time

Oh yeah!!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…