dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
How do you break a chain to cut off 6 links?

I can get a Renthal Works 420 R1 Chain for 32 dollars in 120 links and I need a 114 linker.

What tools will I need/ how hard will this be?

Thanks

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
Angle Grinder

I use a 5" angle grinder and a small punch. Grind the pin head off so that you only have side plate (no peened over section left) then use the punch to knock the pin out. With and O ring chain I find that quite a bit of work is reeuired to remove the pin, so I put the chain in a bench vise and go to work on it :)

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
i just did this on my bicycle chain, i think its the same just bigger.

take an angle grinder and grind off the pin thingy that connects the links. just grind it until it is flat and smooth as my girlfreind's @$$. (thats pretty smooth :p) do this so that when take it apart the small link is there. then put the chain on the bike, on a bicycle you have to weave it thru the frame, dont feel like going out and checking on my bike.:confused:
dont put it on the sprockets yet, it'll be too hard to put it together. take the masterlink and push the pins through the hole, and slip on the little spacer thing. then put the clip on, and your chain is complete!! put yur chanin on the sprockets, tighten any necessary bolts, and go riding!

hope i helped

-Rob

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
Chain Breaker

:p Well it sounds like a really crazy idea but I guess if thats all that you have on hand it just might work..LOL.
But seriously...yeah use the chainbreaker, I believe you will still have to grind the pin's head smooth though and use the breaker to push out the pin. I dont do this enough to warrant a "special tool" and heck sometimes I LOVE to hammer on stuff just for the fun of it :p

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
96whyzee125...LOL!!

Thanks. I have a bicycle chain breaker but I doubt that it would be strong enough to break a motorcycle chain.

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
Originally posted by 96whyzee125

I'm glad you said her *** and not her chest :scream: j/k

well her chest IS pretty smooth...
sasmokin.gif

hehehe......

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
dell,
Chain breakers come in different sizes, like chains. I've broken chains for many years and have seen it done in many different ways. THe only safe, correct way to do it is a chain breaker. No, you don't need to grind the peens off the ends of the pins first, the breaker will drive them right out slick.
Grinding is a bad idea for a couple reasons. First, many many many will do this and forget to put on safety glasses...bigtime mistake, trust me when I say you don't want to have a sliver dug out of your eye...it's not fun. Second, the little slivers of metal that fly around will go places you don't want them to go. Grinding slag, or dust, is a big time abrasive because not only is there ground up metal in it, there is aluminum oxide (grinding wheel material) and it is one of the worlds best abrasives.
The first time you use a real chain breaker, you won't do it another way ever.

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
I second, (or third?) the breaker solution. Once you get accustomed to using it you can add or remove links in less than 5 minutes. Much easier and safer then grinding, although that's effective also.

And if you go with a pin-type breaker, buy some extra pins in case you break them while learning how to use the darn thing! I went through a few of them before I realized/took the time to set it up and use it properly.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
ok, thanks for all the good replies, but I found the same chain at rockymountianmc for 4 dollars less, cut to 114 links

Top Bottom