Fastnine

May 23, 2003
Today was the first gear oil change ....how do you know how much to put back in ....i did not get a book with this bike so any help guys thanks ....also i was also told to run 10/30 ......any advise

Fastnine

May 23, 2003
yz250 it dont say i looked it also has aftermarket bosesen covers on it .....
sombody said there is a weep hole bolt but i dont know witch bolt it is.....

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
I believe the only bikes that come with stock peepholes for checking gear oil levels are the Kawasaki's. I don't know how accurate they really are, but personally I don't think checking gear oil is even a big deal. It should really only be in there for a month at most during riding season. Unless you notice severely rich engine conditions that could point to a leaking right side crankseal, as long as you filled it up with the correct amount you should be fine. There is tremendous debate over what kind of gear oil to use. Many say 80W Gear Saver stuff from Bel-Ray, others suggest ATF fluid, some suggest 10W-40 or 10W-30 conventional oils. Personally I used Mobil1 Redcap 15W-50. But it's my belief that as long as you change it frequently, and it's the correct amount any oil is fine.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Fastnine, I'm not sure but you might go ahead and post the year of YZ250 you have ahead of time. There might be some variance between motor designs.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
My 02 YZ250 holds 0.79 U.S. quarts. After you fill it with the specified amount, run the engine for a minute and then pull out the oil level (or other technical name.) bolt and if oil comes out you have enough oil.
The bolt should be on the right side, and it will probably have a copper gasket on it.

Fastnine

May 23, 2003
yes mine is a 99 and it has a small bolt with the copper gasket ....is 10-40 motul good?? and how often....should it change......

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Fast9,
I like too change my oil every 2-3 rides, no more that 3.. My clutch which i abuse is the original too..
Rick

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Motul 10w40 should be fine.
I would change it every other ride, depending on your clutch abuse.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom