How to clean your MXer??

Jatimatic

Sep 1, 2002
Wondering if there is a product available, or an easy way to remove the ever present clay and mud stains all over my dirt bike?
I have clay residue all over the case and hard to reach places....
I certainly don't want to disassemble the bike to clean the crap that sticks to the air box/hoses etc. I have heard of a product called: "Mudoff". That may well work after I can clean this thing, but in the meantime I'm looking for something to dissolve the exhisting stains, etc.. TIA

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
I also use senior's method. I spray the bike down in a diluted mix of simple green 60/40 (40 water)

And soak the bike and let it sit for 1-2 mins. I then get the hose and spray it all down, usally all the mud/clay and whatever gets blasted away. I then take a tooth brush to get at all the tough parts around the motor and other places. Then a bigger brush to scrub the seat, side panels etc....

I do this, among other little things (ie scrub the chain)

and when all is clean I wipe it down to make sure all dirt is gone, then wd-40 parts that may seize or parts I just don't want water seaping into.

Then lube the chain, polish the frame, and get vinyl/plastic cleaner protector and do all the plastic and seat cover.

Do this and your bike will look great and last long :thumb:

ps. If you just CAN'T get the dirt stains/clay off the motor you can use Gunk engine clean but that's usally not necessary.

roosteater

~SPONSOR~
Dec 27, 1999
I used to use Simple Green, but now I use the following:

ZEP Orange Cleaner

You can buy it at Home Depot in Spray Bottles and Gallon Jugs. I buy it by the gallon (about $7-$8) and put it in a spray bottle. I use it straight, but you can dillute it if you want.

In my humble opinion, it works much better than Simple Green. I spray it on, let it soak in a bit, run over things very lightly with a sponge or a wheel brush, and spray it off. Gets the bike squeeky clean and even gets rid of spooge and other nasty greasy stuff.

Good product; try it for yourself.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
At work I use Honda Brite to clean all the used bikes...it seems to work fairly well, at least with all the road grime gunk. Or simple green and a pressure washer would work too

shawnp

Aug 3, 2002
Any cleaner will get the job done if you use a concetrated version and let it sit long enough. Since I have no patience I made a scrub brush to reach those hard to get nooks and crannies our of a toilet bowl brush. Cut one end of the brush and straighten it out. You can get anywhere with this tool. Good luck.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I also have used Simple Green straight. But I started using Mean Green from the Dollar Store which is basically Simple Green copy though not quite as thick and it is $5 a gallon all day long.
You may want to give one of DRN's new sponsors a try, I hear that the Proclean (hope I got the name of the stuff correct) stuff is great!

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Any cleaner will get the job done if you use a concetrated version and let it sit long enough.

Be careful when choosing cleaners. Some stuff that is on the same shelf as Simple Green could oxidize the aluminum and ruin anodizing.

Chevalier

Sep 3, 2001
Another vote for ProClean! I powerwash off the heavy muck, spray on undiluted ProClean, leave it for 2 mins then powerwash it back off. WD40 everything afterwards(except saddle of course!). There's no need for a brush or anything, just spray it on and wash it back off. It also does amazing work on white plastics that are badly muck stained! It has done no harm to my aluminium or gaskets, although I'm sure it's important to get it properly rinsed back off.
Have they only started selling ProClean in the US now, I've never heard it mentioned here before until that ad arrived?

Philip

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
been around a while but just a small company. When you call their number you actually get to talk to Someone. I called and talked to one of the owners once. Good products to.

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
To get my RM this clean I sprayed on some greased lightning (this stuff is so strong you dont need to scrub) and washed off full blast with a hose. For photo shots, i buff it up with some armor all, and metal polishing compound. Not bad for a 5 year old bike.

Attachments

• rm125left.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 283

RMXkid

Jul 13, 2001
i use zep tnt and a power washer. and i lay the bike on its side to get the bottom of it really well.

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
I get Oil Eater at the auto parts store. Biodegradable, spray it on hose it off, the bikes shine like new. Also great for cleaning parts, hands, etc.

NDRO RDR

May 11, 2000
I use Charlie's Soap. He even has a "motorcycle" formula. The stuff works wonderful, just hose off the big chunks, spray on the Charlies, and rinse. For the stubborn stuff, you may need to re-apply and hit it with a brush, but no big deal. This soap is completely bio-degradable and won't hurt any rubber, plastic, or aluminum. I have not found any corrosion as a result of using it. Plus, they have a policy, that when you order, they bill you. If you don't like it, don't pay them. But don't try to order again :p

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
The absolute best cleaner for bikes IMO is Wheel Magic. Get it from any auto parts store. I dont even prerinsh. Just apray it on, let it sit, and powerwash off on fan spray from 5 feet away. Makes tires look like new, gets engine super clean and gives the bike a little shine in the process too!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…