How to diagnose a worn reed

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
I am working through some jetting issues. I inspected my reeds for chips, wear, etc.. Could not see any. However, I did notice that one of the reeds was curled up very slightly, maybe a millimeter or so. It was enough to allow light from a flashlight to shine through slightly in that area. Is this a problem? What type of symptoms would this produce? Thanks.

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
Thanks. It has gotten harder to start lately. Think I have a lean condition off idle/Pilot circuit right now.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
That large of a gap in the reeds will definetly cause hard starting. Get new reeds before you mess with the jetting.

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
Thanks for the advice. On initial inspection the reeds looked ok, however after looking at them very closely, there are a couple areas that look like they are starting to crack/delaminate. Also, one of the reeds is rubbing the retainer to the point it has worn the surface to a dull finish. I"ll put new reeds on soon and check it out.

I see you are in Southern NY. I grew up riding and racing in that area from 73-81. Used to race at Avoca, Dansville, Zoar, Victor and some others. I don't think those places are still around, good memories though. Unadilla trips were great in the late '70s also.

Thanks for your help..

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…