Reeds and how they effect mixture?

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Hello

I was wondering how much worn reeds will effect the jetting on a fairly low performance two stroke? I have a 200cc y2k Beta Rev3 trials bike which I'm having some problems jetting correctly, but the reeds don't look worn or damaged to the naked eye. They have not ever been replaced on the bike and I think maybe I should replace them anyway. I can't see any gaps when looking through the reed cage, and there are no chipped edges or fraying, and I can't see any cracks in them either. They are carbon fibre as standard, and I'm wondering how long these reeds should generally last? Anyone got any 'rules of thumb' on how often reeds should be replaced even if they're not visably damaged?

The bike is running too lean at the bottom end (new larger pilot jet on the way!), and then seems to run too rich after about 1/4 throttle. I had some problems with water getting into the carb several months ago, which has been fixed by blowing the carb and jets out with compressed air. I have also repacked the muffler, completely drained the fuel tank, and cleaned out the in-line fuel filter. All electrical fittings and connectors seem to be fine. I guess I'm still trying to understand what has changed with the bike to cause it to run badly. These bikes are very understressed and low performance compared to a motocross or enduro bike, and don't generally seem to wear motor parts out very quickly.

Eggnchips

Jul 15, 2002
If your reeds aren' cracked or chipped then they are probably ok. If it's running lean below 1/4 throttle, then it's probably your pilot jet or air screw.

Main jet only affects 3/4 to full throttle and the needle affects 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Pilot jet and airscrew affects up to 1/2 throttle.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
My experience with bad reeds made me think the bike wanted leaner jets.
The reeds always had a gap in them though and the bike was difficult to start. I have never used carbon fibre reeds so I really couldn't give you an answer if they fatigue with out actually braking. The fibreglass reeds I use I usually change them every winter when I completely go over the bike for just a feel good factor that they won't be a problem. As often as I ride any more I am probably changing them more than I need to as with a lot of the parts I change.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
JMICS, I am with you on this one. My YZ 250 defied all jetting attempts until I replaced my damaged reeds. Yes, it acted like it wanted leaner jets. Once the reeds were delt with, it was back to the stock settings.

2000SE

May 7, 2002
agree. my cr250 was boggin really bad and tried to jet around it, figured I would replace the reeds one day while I had the carb off..Good gracious....everything went right back to stock and I was loving it

Top Bottom