MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
I have heard of people using PAM or other non-stick sprays to make it easier to clean their bikes after a muddy ride. I could see where it could come in very handy in reducing the unsprung weight of the rims and the total weight under fenders, on exhaust, swingarm, and skidplate.

Does anyone have experience or recommendations for this?

Does RainX work under plastic fenders and is PAM better on metal rims and exhaust?

Should I just wipe some Krisco on everything?

I also have new MSR System X boots. Can you recommend a waterproofing for the leather, or are all of the leather waterproofings the same?

Thanks for your help. This forum is awesome.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
I KNOW! Just let it sit in your garage and ride a friends bike! :laugh:

Actually... coating your bike with anything but air leads to heat buildup and is not recommended. Just like an oily motor cause heat to build up. I guess it would be OK on the plastics but that stuff has a way of working it's way to your clothes and hands. I personally wouldn't want to grab a handful of throttle just to be ripped of the bike because I put some releasing agent on the bike and didn't want to take the time to clean it after the ride. There is no shortcut for maintenance. And cleaning is a part of that.
Just my .02c

Last edited:

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
I think you're right Rethnal. I did however ride with a guy a long time ago who did coat his engine with Pam. Seems as though his bike did come clean a little bit easier than ours, but parking next to someone and smelling butter flavored Pam just didn't seem "right". I've heard of people using WD40 to coat their engines and plastic as well, but I've never tried it. I suppose that the only real way to ensure that you don't have too hard of a time cleaning up is to ride only on sunny days or freestyle :confused:

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I don't coat the engine at all, but I've used WD-40 on the under side of both fenders. It works great. Before you start riding just spray it liberally under each of the fenders. It probably helps keep a few extra pounds of your bike when it's really muddy!

gn83tm

Dec 30, 2002
On our dirt late model stock car we use a product called Mud-Off and have been really happy with it. It comes in a one quart bottle and we just mix a few ounces with a gallon of water in a garden sprayer. One gallon lasts about 8 nights of racing and if you know anything about a late model, there is a lot of sheet metal to cover on one of those cars. You put it on and let it dry. I suppose for a bike you could just mix up a squirt bottle full and have enough for a few days of riding. A quart of concentrate costs about $10 and is available from Speedway Motors or any dirt track supply shop.

Some guys use diesel fuel on their cars and it seems to work ok but smells way bad.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
I've done a search on Mud-Off and cannot find anything on this product on the internet. Are you sure that is the correct spelling?
THANX!

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
WE just raced the KTM challenge and the KTM team coats the underside of the fenders with Motorex silocone spray. I felt the underside of the fenders and they were very slick. And the undersides of the fenders didn't accumulate much mud at all during the 2 practices and one moto.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Now for leather boots--Clean dry and then condition with "mink Oil". Not made from minks anymore. It is leather conditioner/waterproofer that will make your boots last longer and feel better. The trick is in the application! Use your fingers and put lots of the mink oil on the leather and particularly around the sole-upper joints. Then take your hair dryer and just melt the mink oil into the leather! Do not use liquid mink oil--that just washes out/off easily. Nothing like dry feet and long lasting comfortable boots. There are gore tex booties available from hiking supply places that can go inside your riding boots for the really bad times. Don't get me started, but goretex is the best friend you ever had to ride in the wet.

kdxmadman04

Mar 9, 2003
i race snocross and when we get sno packed under the tunnel of the sled it weighs alot more! we use a good automotive wax and apply it heavily and let it dry white and leave it be and it keeps snow off really good my sled usually weighs in about 15-20 lbs lighter than everyone and they dont know why i tried it on my dirt bike it works good too

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Any silicon spray will work under fenders and muffler area. And yes I spray the heck out of my motor and everything else metal on my bike with silicon spray before and after rides.

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
I like the plan of riding a buddy's bike instead of mine, but I don't want to count on his maintenance habits. It isn't so much that I want to ride a clean bike, but I am getting old and can't lift as much as I used to. That's why I've got a KDX200 and not an XR650. I have riden with several pounds of mud on my rims and wheels and it really affects the suspension too. I will start with something that I have handy like WD-40 or silicone. I have too many bottles of stuff now to go out and but another bottle of "mudd-off". I am also very cheap. Has anyone compared WD-40 and silicone. My guess is that the silicone will be better, but maybe I'll try silicone on the front rim and bottom of the fender and use WD-40 in the rear. We have 6" of snow right now so I am not sure how soon I will get to try these. Thanks for your comments and input.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom