How to set rear sag with the shock in the bike?

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
Let's say I could understand and really measure my bike's rear race sag (with all equipment and stuff, just like the manual says)... And now? Assuming there's little chance that it will be OK, how we can turn the "nut" in the top of the shock if it's in the bike? There's no room at all... I think removing is not the option, since then you will have to reassemble, measure again, disassemble again, re-measure, etc...

Ok... What is the magic?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I've been able to find a straight shot through one of the sides with a long screwdriver. I don't have a shock tool so I've alwyas had good luck with the screw driver.

You could disassemble the parts to make room, weight them, then put that much weight on you to make up the difference. Worst case, you can pull the airbox and that's enough to give you room. Good luck.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
The screw driver hasn't hurt mine, just leaves a little booger on it. Like I said, if you want to use the tool to adjust it, take off the parts to give you room (airbox), weigh it and add the weight to you. Don't forget to loosen the lock nut first. :thumb:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
you are better of using a a long 3/8 inch socket extension, its thin enough to get in there but blunt enought that it wont cut into the spanner nut (which a screw driver will). there should be no reason why you cant do this with everything on the bike.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Use a socket extension to punch the locking nut and the preload nut ,It wont dig into the nut as bad.

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
Do I need to hit it hard? You're probably right... If hasn't been easy, it's because you're not doing it right...

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Yes, there's alot of pressure on it so it takes some hitting to move it. It's a little easier to loosen it verses tightening down.

Battered Sav

~SPONSOR~
Nov 16, 2000
Just before the last time I adjusted my sag, I read, could of been here, that once the locknut is loose, you may be able to spin the spring ( by hand ) and this will hopefully spin the adjustment collar as well.
Worked fine for me, with the bike up on a stand, also the spring on the DR is pretty easy to access and the bike was fairly new.
Hope it helps.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…