How to spot a lemon?

nickman1209

Dec 29, 2006
i recently bought a 2004 rmz-250 and a week later it blew up. i had to replace EVERYTHING! and i mean everything in the motor. im moving up to get a 06,07,08 crf250r used. i was wondering if there is anything i should look for or anything that will help me know if the bike is a lemon or not. thanks

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Simple, lemons are yellow. Roses are red.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Buying a bike from a young or slow guy is generally going to be shy on preventative maintenance and or improper air filter and engine oil service.

Buying a bike from a fast guy is going to get you a wore out bike with a fatigued frame, worn suspension and a tired engine.

Pick your poison...

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
BigRedAF said:
Buying a bike from a young or slow guy is generally going to be shy on preventative maintenance and or improper air filter and engine oil service.
Hey now, I'm young AND slow, but I still do my maintenance. I would just shy away from a used 4 stroke if it has any hours on it. A 125 is hard to beat for learning and maintaining.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
_JOE_ said:
Hey now, I'm young AND slow, but I still do my maintenance. I would just shy away from a used 4 stroke if it has any hours on it. A 125 is hard to beat for learning and maintaining.

Perhaps I should have said a new guy that is trying to learn how to work on his first bike. Stripping bolts, rounding off nuts, getting dirt in the plug hole, allowing dirt to bypass the filter, etc...

I was in no way talking about the highly skilled new riders that visit this site...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…