How to tell if your tailbone is broken??

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
I was riding wheelies on the pavement on my Modded Banshee 350 today. I went over backwards onto the friggin wheelie bar, and couldn't get it to go back down, even by hitting the back brakes, so I got scared and just let go, falling right onto my damn tailbone. Hurt like hell. It also ripped like 3 holes in my pants, and tore off the little red "levis" tag off of the back of my pants, along with scuffing my ass cheek up a bit, LOL!

Anyways, is there any way to know if its broke/fractured? I don't wanna get it x-rayed since I don't have medical insurance. Besides, theres nothing they can do for a broken tailbone anyways, is there?

It pretty much hurts to even move, and it hurts like HELL to sit down for the most part. I'm hoping its just badly bruised though.

It also kinda feels like theres pressure on it constantly.

Any of you ever had a broken tailbone? If so, does it sound like I have one? or just bruised?

Thanks guys.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Badly bruised/broken.. what's the difference? It's not like you can get your tailbone set and in a cast.
If I had to guess? Due to the Modded Banshee 350, I'd say it's broken. Bad. :p

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Dont do wheelies on pavement without medical insurance. I have bruised my tail bone before and it was very tender and sore regardless of whether I was standing or sitting and it was very sore to the touch it took a few weeks before it felt better. I would wait it out and see if it progresses and feels any better in a couple of days either way it will probably take atleast a couple weeks before it feels better but if in a week you dont see atleast some signs of progress then it is probably more serious.

+30

Aug 2, 2005
I would guess its badly bruised if you can still walk or sit without screaming... I have mentioned to my doc a few years back when I was into mountainbiking my tailbone was always hurting bad enough to have to take baby steps after a ride, but I liked riding enough to go every week and start the whole process over again it would always take a few days to feel mostly better, but it always always shows up after a ride, same with mx, after a while on a hard - pack choppy track i have to pull off and load up . Been doing this for like 8 years. The doctor said its a repetitive injury that wont heal unless I quit doing this stuff, but I manage and know when to stop, so it can be delt with, its just a pain in the a**, literally. I do notice when pulling a trailer by hand or some other heavy equipment it can show up as though i just rode for an hour. Anyway, what Im trying to get across is go easy for a while let it get better, then get back into it and stand on the bike more often while u heal up. :cool: good luck .

Mophuka

Jan 14, 2006
about all you can do is take some ibuprofen and wait it out.. when I broke my rib the doctor gave me 800m ibuprofen and 250m vicodin. just try to control the pain as well as possible.

ziptiedEXC

Apr 5, 2006
If it takes a year to get over it, then it was broke. It took me that long when when my 250 EXC stuck at WOT. Sometimes I thought I was over it, until I picked up something heavy or sit in a hard chair.

Aftermath

Nov 22, 2004
I landed on mine nearly three weeks ago. Bloody sore. Gased it to much up the face of a jump. Landed hard on my bum. Still can't sit for long on a chair even though I can ride mainly in the standing position. Sitting and cornering painful. Don't know if I broke it, don't want to know. Will probably be more painful if I do know, but it is slowly geeting better. Seems like it takes a while. I'm 37 now, so injuries take much longer to heal.

Quick question, do any of you out there go through a sort of wiping out spate? You go for weeks with no falls, and all of a sudden, you seem to have one every 2nd time you ride.

BENYZ

Spammer
Feb 3, 2006
well riding a bike (no not a dirt bike) i went off a little jump to jump no big deal right just having some fun with my friends cracked my tail bone! :| hurt bad for 2 and a half months! :bang: after 2 and a half months i still could not sit in one place for more than 5 min without it starting to hurt like crazy! :| by 6 months it was gone! like it never happend! well mostly.

(i am only 13y\o but i dont feel pain like most people do. i have broken my thump and it did not hurt as bad as my tail bown for sure! just thought you should keep that in mind!)

ttrman0

Apr 2, 2006
i broke my tailbone when I was 14 skateboarding. I couldn't walk after that for about a month. Didn't ever go to the doctor as the way the test if it's broken is usually by a plastic glove and finger. (No thank you as there is nothing they can do if it's broken). I am now 29 and I can still feel it slightly if I sit on a hard chair for a while. Have fun and hopefully your won't last as long.

Top Bottom