Husky 400 Cross clutch trauma

john221ex

May 1, 2006
Just about have this puppy (actually more like a pit bull, I hear) on the track.
But I cannot get a clutch cable to work. I have bought three new ones, all reputed to be the "right one." All have too much free play to get any action---even with the adjusters all the way out!
Can anyone tell me what is wrong? Is the internal adjustment meant to take this up? I have new Barnett plates installed.

Thanks,

John

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
Adjust the internal adjustment to 10mm of free play with the cable off and that should do it.

Dale

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Don't know the first thing about Hooskies but two things I know from experience are:

1. if there is supposed to be a little ball bearing on the clutch push rod, and it's not there, you need to get one.

2. I've had to shorten almost every brake and clutch cable that I got from Terry. But sometimes you gotta shorten the housing to make the cable work. You must use acid core solder to reattach the end. You also need a cable cutter.

:bang:

john221ex

May 1, 2006
Thanks

I'll give the adjustment a try.
No, I know what you mean on a KTM, but this engine doesn't use a ball and pushrod like that.

John

john221ex

May 1, 2006
In trying that adjustment, I feel resistance as I turn the adjuster in to get that much.
Then, I feel it stop (and can see at the plates.)
Is this correct? The manual is somewhat vague.

John

originaldirt

Apr 25, 2000
What kind of levers are you using? The original Magura levers and J-model levers have different free length between the cable end mount and the adjuster end. May be the source of your problem.
Originaldirt

john221ex

May 1, 2006
levers

They appear to be original Maguras.
Should I just adjust the cable to allow the lever and clutch plates to bottom simultaneously?

John

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…