Hydration

Dawg_enD

Sep 19, 2003
On my first ride with my chest protector on I tried to wear my Camelback type hydrator and it was uncomfortable. It felt too small to fit over the armor. It never occurred to me to try it under the armor at the time.

Anyway, I've been looking around in vendor catalogs I get at work and have come across a few ideas and wondered if anyone has tried them.

The first question is this: What's your preference, under or over the armor?

The second question is regarding the Camelback Hotshot. It's a pack made for Wildland Firefighters and the Military. It doesn't have straps, but does have 6 D Rings on it. My thought was that it would be great zip-tied (or some other method) onto the back of my armor.

Has anyone tried that? I'm dying to have *some* fluids with me, but don't want it to interfere with my riding. Let's face it, when you are as new / bad as I am, you can't deal with any distractions. :laugh:

Thanks!

-Dawg

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I have a Camelback M.U.L.E.

I wear it over my Moose M1 chest protector.

It fits great, except for the weight, I never know it is there.

It holds 100oz of water, digital camera, GPS, binocs, .22 pistol, lunch, wallet, car keys.....

adckdx

~SPONSOR~
Jan 27, 2003
I have one similar to the mule (100oz.) that I bought from target for $25.00. It has adjustable straps so it is easy to wear over my chest protector. Also has plenty of room for lunch, rags, keys, spare goggles, etc.... Carrying all of the extra stuff I think it would be difficult to wear it under the protector.

ADCKDX

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
I found a backless chest protector from HRP Sports. It's called the "AttakJak" and I wear a mid-sized "camelbak" type backpack with it. It doesn't pull on the chest protector and I like it because they are two separate pieces. A riding buddy did attach his backpack to his chest protector and he ended up putting a loop on the bottom front of the chest protector and passing the belt on his mx pants through it. It kept everything from riding up his chest and down his back.

Bill

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
Camelback classic under the armor for me. I tried it over, but it kept moving my chest protector around. I don't notice it's on when it's under.

Zforty5

Oct 6, 2003
If your going to use the Camelbak, get the (Rev 72oz) or the (Charge 102oz) model. They are made for Motocross riders and are abour 2 inches thick when full of water.
They are made to be worn under the chest protector but you can wear them outside. Go to the Camelbak website to find info.
I use the Charge, works great out here in SO.Cal Desert.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I wear the smaller size camelbak. It's a model that is actually made for kids. It holds 50 oz. I have it attached directly to the back of my Fox Roost 2 chest protector. Very cofortable and no should straps pulling on me. But, the larger camelbaks will weigh down the back of your chest protector and make it uncomfortable to wear.

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
i have the standard size camelbak and wear it under the armor. actually it seems to make my chest protector fit a bit better/tighter. as long as the shoulder straps are adjusted properly you shouldnt really feel the weight at all.

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
I have an Xtreme "turtle shell" that has a chest protector, spine protector, kidney belt, shoulder pads, and a 2 litre hydration pack built in. Sounds like alot of weight but it's amazingly light considering the weight of 2 litres of fluid. The best part is it's all one unit so the camel pack doesn't slide around or feel uncomfortable. There's a fanny pack on the front that counters the weight of the camel on your back.

I paid mucho denero though. 125 bucks. Canadian.

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
I've got a 50 oz Camelbak that I wear over my chest protector. If I wear it underneath it feels like I've got a lump in my back. I wear it over my CP and I don't even know it's there...until I need a drink :thumb:

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
Under is bad. I have the classic, and when I tried it under, the thing would shoot the stuff in your mouth, or leake from the pressure. I also didn tlike the comfort of it. What I find that works great is to have the straps as tight as possible OVER your chest protector, and to use the chest strap. (also keep the chest strap tight) If you really need to keep it from not moving, and you dont have a waist strap, yank out the duct tape or go find an old belt. (I havent tried the belt or duct tape, but It should work fine.)

:yeehaw:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I had a smaller Camelback, I think it was 50 oz or so.

On a ride up at Prospect, I ran out of water at about 50 miles, we rode another 70 or 80 miles!

That night I Bonked so bad!
(chills, severe leg cramps)

Desertpro

Mar 10, 2004
Camel M.U.L.E. over in back with keys and stuff. I use duct tape and velcro to hold it in place. I forget it even there.

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
I have a Blackburn pack I bought off of a mountain bike website for for $20. It holds 72oz of water and I have been using it for 4 years and it is still in great shape. And it fits over my Moose M1 chest protector with room to spare.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
wibby said:
I have a Camelback M.U.L.E.

I wear it over my Moose M1 chest protector.

It fits great, except for the weight, I never know it is there.

It holds 100oz of water, digital camera, GPS, binocs, .22 pistol, lunch, wallet, car keys.....
Wibby, you never cease to amaze me. I bet with that much strapped to your back plus I bet a tool belt pouch on your bod or on the rear fender, no wonder you get 4th gear wheelies. :laugh:
Bet that pistol comes in handy when the hint to pass doesn't work :cool:

250RDude

Feb 23, 2003
Camelbak M.U.L.E. or H.A.W.G. over the Fox chest protector. I run the 100 oz. bladder & carry at least one frozen 32oz. also. It's already hit the low 90's in PHOENIX. :(

Dawg_enD

Sep 19, 2003
Thanks guys.

I've got a HAWG already, but I just got it and don't want to destroy my dayhike/vacation pack by sliding on it, so I won't wear it. I may try the under the protector thing, though. I am still pretty enamored with attaching it to my chest protector back and then balancing it out with something else in the front (comm gear?) but ... well, I'm broke at the moment, so it's moot.

Thanks again!

-Dawg

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
70 oz thor hydro pac under my thor CP. works for me, no prob. this way I can still use it for my mountain bike.

NX650

Dec 9, 2002

Mucho Denero? That's about $100 US and sounds like a killer deal to get all those items integrated! :laugh: Where did you buy yours? Where can I get more info? If they will ship them to the US I am all over it!

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
NX650 said:
Mucho Denero? That's about $100 US and sounds like a killer deal to get all those items integrated! :laugh: Where did you buy yours? Where can I get more info? If they will ship them to the US I am all over it!

I got it from a small dealership in northern Ontario. I'll look in to if they have a web page (the manufacturer). Sorry, it was 125 US, not Canadian. I've rode with it for a couple rides last year (got it after an ugly spill) and will never ride without it again.

NX650

Dec 9, 2002

Riverz,

Even at $125.00 US that is a great deal. If you can remember the name of the dealership, I could give them a call...gotta keep our friends up North happy!

Thanks again!

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
Twiztid One said:
i bought the Camel Bak siren , holds all my tools , plugs etc.. i forgot it this weekend and missed it when i got the raptor stuck , man i was thirsty .

Funny, I'll be riding with a guy on an EX400 this year. I forsee the same thing happening to him :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…