I am confused.. my fork is stiff, but no oil inside?

May 3, 2005
I am not an expert, although I do have decent mechanical skills with automobiles, and I have rebuilt older fourstrokes with success, but I am stumped on this one. My inverted fork, an older kayaba model on the front of a wr500 was totally rebuilt by certified guys at the shop I bought the bike from, with a receipt of $1100. When I hold the front brake and thrust forward in nuetral, the for compresses nicely until about half way and then it gets very firm. I read my manual and it recomends reducing the oil level down 10mm if this is the case. I double check the torque on the triple clamps, right within specs, so I pop off the tops, compress the fork completely, remove the springs, and push the plunger all the way in. now it gets wierd I can see oil residue on the springs, I can feel the oil working on the plunger, and on the right side I can see a little bit of oil in the bottom. The manual says oil should be within + - 100mm from the top. I can't see any except the little bit on the right. shouldn't the oil be clearly visible at this point? the plungers glide very smooth, the lower stanchions glide very smooth, the fork handles very well at speed, I just wanted more consistent feel through the entire travel. I am guessing the oil is very low on both forks, and there is not the same amount in both, and the firmness half way through travel is from kayaba progressive dampening design or something? Am I way off on this diagnosis? any suggestions are greatly. appreciated.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Start with the easy stuff...

You mounted the forks after rebuild?
You might have a bind.
Losen the axel and (axel) pinch bolts...
With the front brake, compress the forks hard several times.
put it back on the stand and torque to spec.

See if that helps.

May 3, 2005
Okay, I will do that. But what about the oil level, am I way low, or is it normal to see very very little or no oil in the spring upper tube with the caps off and everything compressed?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom