I assumed it was harder than it looked ...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
... and damned if I wasn't right . :yikes:

A little fun with metal shaping test. I think Jesse James will sleep OK tonight knowing I'm in my dining room abusing metal. :rotfl:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Thanks Bob. It's going to land in the ever growing pile of scrap, but I learned a bunch of things as I was screwing it up. It was my first time using the beader on a high crowned surface, and it presented a whole bunch of problems I hadn't anticipated.

My already deep respect for the real craftsmen out there has grown 100 fold as I've stumbled through the learning process with this stuff. Even with a giant scrap pile in the corner it's still more fun making pieces (even if they are totally suckified) than it is watching the OCC guys look up stuff in a catalog and bolt it to a cartoon bike. ;)

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
That would make a really cool heat shield on......something.

Very nice.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Farmer John said:
That would make a really cool heat shield on......something.

John - Maybe some day MXA will do a heat shield shootout and I can become FAMOUS :)

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I bet there's a kazillion artist drooling on there keyboards right now jones'n to get a look at your scrap pile :cool:

One man's scrap is another man's sculpture

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
I got Jesse James tank and fenders on the chopper and they are kinda tame compared to Rich's high crown example.

I'm a street (screw Jesse) display option Rich, when you are satisfied enough with your craftsman-ship to go pubic. I mean Public.

Seriously, workin' metal is a awesome craft! Few can do it well, but I'm betting your one of'em Rich.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I'll keep you in mind Dave, hopefully you'll still be riding in 2022 when I finally get it right. ;)

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Yea, I'll still be ridin then. Bet you can still PM me then too!

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
Wow that's really nice. I have been wanting to try shaping some sheet metal for a while now. Eastwood is right up the street from me and the leather sandbag for beating on sheetmetal has been calling my name. Hopefully if I try it, it will come out better then my welds! :bang:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
dlink - Take a shot at it. Even the failures are really fun and it's interesting to learn how metal reacts . Eastwood is a great source for tools and info. The Ron Fournier books are the best I've found. Ron's company also sells a lot of trick tools and other helpful stuff. http://www.fournierenterprises.com/

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Rich, are you still doing this stuff in your house? Got an English wheel and a lead mallett at the foot of your bed, next to the lathe?

BTW--that old fart that's always sitting around, sipping on a diet coke while downing a triple cheese (on American Hot Rod) isn't too bad....my God did you see that motorcycle body he hand made to look exactly like a matching hot rod body? :ohmy:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
That's pretty neat Rich.

What material did you use?

There is some stuff called LEA compound that you can coat your buffing wheel with and it will get all of the scratches out and blend the imperfections. Eastwood sells some under a different name.

Ol'89r

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
nephron said:
Rich, are you still doing this stuff in your house? Got an English wheel and a lead mallett at the foot of your bed, next to the lathe?

Jack - The english wheel is in the spare bedroom, along with the chop saw, Beverly shear, and assorted other tools. ;)

BTW--that old fart that's always sitting around, sipping on a diet coke while downing a triple cheese (on American Hot Rod) isn't too bad....

That guy has skills I would kill for. ;)

Ol'89r said:
What material did you use?

Terry - It's .063" 3003 H14. I annealed it to do the initial curves and looking back I probably should have annealed a few sections again. The work hardening from the english wheel made it tougher to bead than I anticipated. Live and learn I guess.

There is some stuff called LEA compound that you can coat your buffing wheel with and it will get all of the scratches out and blend the imperfections. Eastwood sells some under a different name.

Ol'89r

That's next on the list of things to learn. Show quality metal finishing, that and lead work on steel. So much to learn and so little time.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
That guy has skills I would kill for. ;)
and seemingly the same tolerance for jackasses :rotfl:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
So it seems Pred. :)

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Rich, do you think you could make me a shiney cod piece to wear on stage?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
thunder33 said:
Rich, do you think you could make me a shiney cod piece to wear on stage?

Sure Jamir, but it will be up to Lou to determine the sizing and basic shape. :yikes:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Cool stuff Rich! Sorry about the lack of poon. :rotfl: ;)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
That would fit just right on the top of my mower. Can I have it, I'd be the talk of all the LYM's at our weedly I mean weekly meeting. ;)

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Elk, you really take the fun out of making fun of you.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
hmmmm .... Maybe I could fashion a combination mower/Jamir cover.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Sweet work, Rich. :cool:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…